• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Agencies

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agencies"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Harvy View Post
    Hi.
    Thanks for the input. I've worked as a programmer and sys admin I did send in a CV out of the blue to a recruiter and got a call from them asking if they want to put me forward for a mssql DBA job. But I said no.
    Ahh the rookie whose unable to work out what the technologies on your CV mean.

Sometimes I'm nice and tell them exactly the kind of person they are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Harvy
    replied
    Hi.
    Thanks for the input. I've worked as a programmer and sys admin I did send in a CV out of the blue to a recruiter and got a call from them asking if they want to put me forward for a mssql DBA job. But I said no.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    I apply and wait for their contact, I don't know if the best approach because I'm new in contracting.
    I don't know if it's a good idea to contact them.
    Great input. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    I apply and wait for their contact, I don't know if the best approach because I'm new in contracting.
    I have mainly got gigs two ways: either they have called me based on a CV in their system (or increasingly LinkedIn these days) or after I have sent in the tailored CV and then called them. There have been one or two when the CV has been sent in and they've called me back, but that is a case of being a very strong match for a difficult requirement.

However that is the good agencies; the increasing numbers staffed by ex-estate agents or where the first sift is done by either an AI or some newbie intern (there is little difference in selectivity either way!) means it is increasingly a lottery for any non-specific role.

And I only ever call the agent once. I used to keep going but eventually worked out that 90% of the time they aren't there and 95% of the time they don't call back. I figure that's their loss, not mine.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Hi,
    Just wondering how people here go about dealing with agencies and the jobs posted on the boards by the agencies. Do you ever contact them or just apply via the boards.
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sadly for the new guys a chat on the phone is likely to give the agent the impression you are new and struggling and instead if helping you they'll take the opportunity to screw you for references, opt out and charge newbie tax on the rate.
    Sounds fair. Everyones gotta start somewhere and leaves the higher rates for you seasoned professionals.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Sadly for the new guys a chat on the phone is likely to give the agent the impression you are new and struggling and instead if helping you they'll take the opportunity to screw you for references, opt out and charge newbie tax on the rate.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Thanks for the info so far, I was worried a phone call might be seen as an annoyance to the agent.
    They'd rather you annoy them to remind them you're available than miss out on the ideal candidate. If you're not up to scratch in this market, they're too busy selling their grandparents to speak to you.

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Thanks for the info so far, I was worried a phone call might be seen as an annoyance to the agent.
    If your call goes along the lines of "I know you wanted x,y and z, but I have a, b and c and really willing to learn" - then yes they'll probably avoid your calls for a while.

If you actually meet the brief and the budget then they'll be more than happy to talk to you I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• Harvy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Normally just apply via the boards. If it is a killer role, follow up via phone call, if they are not 'away from their desk' that is...

If your CV is widely circulated then agencies will contact you if there are any suitable roles available.
    I'd second this approach, you'd be amazed at how many applications we get for every contract we advertise. I recently advertised a UAT role in London, had 175 application in the first hour, ended up with a total of just under 500 applications before I took the advert down (about 48 hours later).

Don't have time to screen them all and the good ones tend to call - they're the ones I deal with first and often the only ones that end up going to my client.

Same applies for perm jobs, response rate is less but making a follow up call is essential.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I find LinkedIn is now much better.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Hi,
    Just wondering how people here go about dealing with agencies and the jobs posted on the boards by the agencies. Do you ever contact them or just apply via the boards.
    Cheers
    Normally just apply via the boards. If it is a killer role, follow up via phone call, if they are not 'away from their desk' that is...

If your CV is widely circulated then agencies will contact you if there are any suitable roles available.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Hi,
    Cheers
    Depends how much I want the role.

Leave a comment:

• Harvy
    started a topic Agencies

Agencies

Hi,
    Cheers

Working...
X