• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another newbie seeking advice"

Collapse

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by panders View Post
    Good morning everyone

Agency has told me that with effect from 6 April they have to disclose the amounts they pay to UC's to HMRC who will be able to cross reference this against candidate tax paid and identify those using any schemes that offer higher than expected take home pay? I have asked a few UC's about this and they have told me they know nothing about this and that if the Agency was doing this that they would have to declare it to them? Can anyone shed any light on this and what its called so that I can ask about it when I speak to prospective agencies?
    Hi Pamela, as far as I can see this is not a new thing which surprises me that no-one has been able to shed any light. My gut feeling is that the agency has finally realised that as they report any payments via RTI that HMRC now have a way of seeing the full chain of monies exchanged. If they were recommending a scheme, that was not paying the correct PAYE taxes, then the agency could be liable too.
    That's my thoughts anyway

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Oh, and for some agencies "approved" mean "BIG commission paid to us".

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by panders View Post
    Thanks everyone, very odd that they are on the "approved" list when others are not! I wonder how many others are dodgy that they have approved!
    To be clear - we are not stating that the umbrella mentioned is "dodgy" - that term is reserved for umbrellas who are getting their employees into trouble by not deducting the correct amount of tax or not passing it onto HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• panders
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you read the post properly it is one called Wisemove whose website breaches current legislation.
    No I'm not with Wisemove yet, its one I was considering as it was on their approved list?

Leave a comment:

• panders
    replied
    Thanks everyone, very odd that they are on the "approved" list when others are not! I wonder how many others are dodgy that they have approved!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Another newbie seeking advice

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Which UC are you currently with?
    If you read the post properly it is one called Wisemove whose website breaches current legislation.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Which UC are you currently with? Who is on the approved list?

They seem to have at least one dodgy one on their list. I wonder if the agency is getting a cut through recommending UCs?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    So I haven't been able to find their company or VAT registration on the site and they say absolutely nothing about their fees for their umbrella- so have to speak to their salesman first.
    OP this alone would fail a due diligence procedure as it doesn't comply with the Electronic Commerce Act 2002 and the Companies Act.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And here is more info on the April legislation.

Recruitment Agencies | Recent legislation changes that may affect you!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    So I haven't been able to find their company or VAT registration on the site and they say absolutely nothing about their fees for their umbrella- so have to speak to their salesman first.

Definitely read up on what makes a legitimate umbrella before you call them.

(You may also need to review your previous umbrella if it failed the agency's due diligence review...)

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Ta SE, let's have a look then.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    This is their website www .wisemc.co.uk/consultants

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Wisemove is a new one to us.

I've tried to find a website for them without success so can't advise, BUT...

Look at this post, and heed its advice. http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...-umbrella.html

Pay particular attention to this thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...companies.html

And be aware that some of those umbrella companies you've spoken to probably don't want to show up on HMRC's radar.

Also it will vary depending on whether you apply for public or private sector contracts.

Leave a comment:

• panders
    started a topic Another newbie seeking advice

Another newbie seeking advice

Good morning everyone
    Stumbled across this forum after my Agency advised last Wed that they will not longer be willing to pay me through the UC I had been using for 13 months as they did not pass their due diligence process and they have given me a list of screened and approved UC's to try. I am working my way through their approved and recommended ones and wondered if anyone has any experience of wisemove? They don't seem to come up on any search on here?

Agency has told me that with effect from 6 April they have to disclose the amounts they pay to UC's to HMRC who will be able to cross reference this against candidate tax paid and identify those using any schemes that offer higher than expected take home pay? I have asked a few UC's about this and they have told me they know nothing about this and that if the Agency was doing this that they would have to declare it to them? Can anyone shed any light on this and what its called so that I can ask about it when I speak to prospective agencies?

Many thanks
    Pamela

Working...
X