• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I think I'm going to [attempt to] build a standing desk"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    If we all got one, we could connect them to the grid and we wouldn't need wind turbines.
    I can produce a fair bit of wind! Apparently it only smells nice to me.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Also silly as it looks the bike thing's kind of interesting. You could pedal at a very leisurely rate and over a few hours you would be getting a lot of exercise. I won't be going that route but people have been having little mini-steppers and so on under their desks for years (decades?)
    If we all got one, we could connect them to the grid and we wouldn't need wind turbines.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I know I'm bumping a very old thread. But Ikea now do one for £500

BEKANT Desk sit/stand - birch veneer/black - IKEA and its electric...
    Looks a good price, I ended up buying one of these.

Standing Desk : The Big Jack Desk. The Height Adjustable Desk, Made In Britain. | iwantastandingdesk.com

More expensive than the ikea table. The quality is pretty spot on and I have 3x 24 inch monitors on it, two laptops and a soundbar. Still goes up and down

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I know I'm bumping a very old thread. But Ikea now do one for £500

BEKANT Desk sit/stand - birch veneer/black - IKEA and its electric...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just a quick update, I am currently trialling the idea of a standing desk in a more low-tech way before committing money and, more importantly, time to the project. It's embarrassingly crude but I found that 3 of those cardboard fruit boxes supermarkets have are a good height. More importantly, they are designed to stack stably and are remarkably strong - they lock together and there is no wobble as I type or anything like that.

I think I'll try this for the week and then decide if I want to make something better - other than aesthetics the main disadvantage is that this arrangement is not adjustable but realistically it's only 1-2min to go from sitting <--> standing configuration and as I WFH, nobody else is going to see it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    So it says you will live 2 years longer, and burn 50 calories a day more and blood sugar is less.

This can easily be overcome by eating a healthier diet, low gi/carb and pot noodling.
    50 calories per hour, not per day. I count that as quite significant - if you were to stand all your working day rather than sit, this is equivalent to the calories you might burn at the gym.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    So it says you will live 2 years longer, and burn 50 calories a day more and blood sugar is less.

This can easily be overcome by eating a healthier diet, low gi/carb and pot noodling.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Is there any verifiable conclusive evidence that sitting down for long periods is fatal or bad for your health? (A daily mail story doesn't fullfill this).
    This from yesterday.... BBC News - How much better is standing up than sitting?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Also silly as it looks the bike thing's kind of interesting. You could pedal at a very leisurely rate and over a few hours you would be getting a lot of exercise. I won't be going that route but people have been having little mini-steppers and so on under their desks for years (decades?)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Is there any verifiable conclusive evidence that sitting down for long periods is fatal or bad for your health? (A daily mail story doesn't fullfill this).
    Yes. Well no not the fatal part

Apart from risks associated purely with sitting, it is trivial to show that standing increases your metabolism and heart rate (a few bpm) which clearly burns calories. Sitting for 12+ hours and then doing 30min exercise is not a great solution.

I trust you can search for your own sources if you're genuinely interested - start a thread in General it would be interesting to see if any client offices in the UK have started doing trendy standing worstations yet

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    There's a man who's never heard of NEAT and that chairs will be the death of him...

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    As an alternative what about a bike chair - I got this off linkedin but I can't find the actual bike (lots of crap ones but not this one) on the internet, anyone got the Google mojo to find it?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Stand Up For Three Hours In The Office And Lose Weight

Standing's good.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    While I applaud the lateral thinking, I'm not on the ground floor.
    Same thing but get yourself one of those sex swing thingies.

Should open up a few more possibilities for at-the-desk entertainment.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed this isn't general so just a short edit to point out that I'm absolutely serious and typing this with a straight face.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    Cut a hole in the floor and stick a lump of plywood over it. Then when you want to stand for a bit, just flip the board out of the way and voila.
    While I applaud the lateral thinking, I'm not on the ground floor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X