• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "ISP recommendations"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    From the right hand side of your link.

The law is clear, the BBC just wished it reflected current reality and technology rather than old technical limitations....

But if the BBC wished to prove a point they could probably get a judge to agree that a computer able to run flash with an internet connection = need to have TV licence...
    On the substantive point, you may be right as many Judges are ignorant pillocks, however I doubt they could make that stick.

The law says you need to a licence to watch live broadcast stuff. I don't, so I don't need a licence. I don't need a driving licence to own a car, don't need a PADI licence to own tanks and a regulator, I don't need a telly licence to watch streamed telly.

They could try and change it to cover flash etc, but there's no way they have a hope of enforcing it, even if they did.

I'm sick of paying for the BBC to do stuff I don't want and don't approve of.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I use Sky to stream Sky sports by various methods, makes me smile how they are complicit in my activities.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.
    TV Licensing - How to tell us you don't watch TV

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

The law is clear, the BBC just wished it reflected current reality and technology rather than old technical limitations....

But if the BBC wished to prove a point they could probably get a judge to agree that a computer able to run flash with an internet connection = need to have TV licence...
    That's my point - it's fine for now but it's only a matter of time (or perhaps not with the BBC) before the legislation is updated to reflect how people actually watch TV these days.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    TV Licensing - Check if you need a TV Licence

I don't think that'll wash for much longer, especially with iPlayer.
    You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Result! got my download limit upped to enough to take care of Netflix, iPlayer etc at no extra cost (well a few pence a month) and no need to change ISP.

Did I mention I am giving up my TV licence? Stopping watching live broadcasts so no need for telly licence any more.
    TV Licensing - Check if you need a TV Licence

This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
    I don't think that'll wash for much longer, especially with iPlayer.
    Last edited by GazCol; 26 September 2013, 10:50.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Result! got my download limit upped to enough to take care of Netflix, iPlayer etc at no extra cost (well a few pence a month) and no need to change ISP.

Did I mention I am giving up my TV licence? Stopping watching live broadcasts so no need for telly licence any more.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Thanks to all - I have dropped Zen a line to see if they can offer me anything, if not it's off to plusnet for me.

Leave a comment:

• Damanc
    replied
    As A tech, I can say they are all as bad as each other however there are the odd one that is better than the other but they are all under the "Good" rating. I'm yet to ever deal with an excellent ISP. The biggest problem with ISP's is the support. Plusnet is one of the better ones out there imo

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    One thing to consider when switching ISPs now is the likes of BT/Sky/Virgin won't let you switch without also switching your landline too. For example, although it might look like you're getting a better deal on the face of it with say BT over Sky, when you factor in landline rental and calls you might find Sky much cheaper.
    Thanks - good point - although Zen's cheaper than BT for line rental, the calls are expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    The Fibre packages are all 12 month contracts as far as I can see (their website is quite confusing, IMHO but every one I've checked is 12 months) the non-fibre ones are monthly, like Zen et al.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Broadband Internet, Phone Lines, VoIP & Hosting | Vivaciti

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    There are ISP's that do monthly contracts they don't all insist on yearly.
    For FTTC? Please list them:

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    There are ISP's that do monthly contracts they don't all insist on yearly.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm with plusnet, does get busy at night but its fairly reliable (netgear router isn't) and can't complain about the service they do nag BT for you.

I know BT own them, but they act as a good filter for their owners incompetence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X