• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LAN cable recommendations wanted"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I'd love to use fibre, but have no idea what to buy or where to plug it in, or even if my PCs would support it!

(Any ideas or links welcome)
    Is fibre really faster than Cat6? I thought that even Cat5e could reach 100Gbps.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Fibre

Only noobs and poor people use copper.
    I'd love to use fibre, but have no idea what to buy or where to plug it in, or even if my PCs would support it!

(Any ideas or links welcome)

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Fibre

Only noobs and poor people use copper.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Quick tip.

Buy 1 more disk than you need, so you have an immediate replacement.

I had one of my 4 disks fail and is currently back for RMA, while I walk on egg shells waiing for another disk to fail and screw the raid array.

Its backed up every night at 3 but still that is just hassle.

Replacement arriving Wedneday, could have been earlier but no one in when they called, as they didn't tell me they'd sent it!!!

Prompt replacement from Scan. None of the usual texts though. So now having to wait til Wed.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    £2700 - Sounds a lot, but will give me peace of mind and the convenience of disks shared over the network.
    .. not including VAT - I forgot to ask about that!

I've just ordered the kit - £3240 including VAT.

Should be worth it though - Among other things, the lady said it came with an HDMI interface that one can link directly to the TV

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Could have bought an Xsan for less than that!
    Not interested in Apple file systems, or actually anything to do with Apple.

I wanted something with a Windows file system, bags of space, reliable for 24/7 use, and easily expandable, and QNAP was recommended by a couple of knowledgeable colleagues.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    LAN cable recommendations wanted

Could have bought an Xsan for less than that!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    How much is that little lot costing you?
    £2700 - Sounds a lot, but will give me peace of mind and the convenience of disks shared over the network.

Despite some replies saying Cat5 would be OK, I think I'll go for Cat6a. The cables aren't too expensive, compared with what I am splurging for the NAS.

The Cat 7 cables do look a bit pricey though, and they don't seem to come with plugs!

edit: I found a good article on cables here

Why install Cat6a?
    At the time of writing (2011), 10GBase-T interfaces are still very new, expensive and power hungry. Most users are still choosing either Cat5e or Cat6 systems, on the basis that these systems are perfectly capable of running Ethernet up to 1000Base-T, which should prove more than adequate for the foreseeable future.

The argument for installing Cat6a now is one of future proofing. We expect to start seeing server motherboards coming fitted with 10GBase-T interfaces later in 2011. PC’s coming equipped as standard with 10GBase-T network interfaces will follow in due course. Thereafter, only installations with Cat6a cabling will be sure of being able to exploit this new bandwidth. Therefore, the logic goes, if the planned lifetime of a new cabling system is five or more years, Cat6a should be considered as an option. If the planned lifetime is ten or more years, Cat6a definitely appears to be the favoured solution, even for relatively low performance users.

Areas where Cat6a is already proving popular include Data Centres and Building Backbones, where users will wish to exploit the 10GBase-T interfaces as soon as it becomes more cost effective than the 10GBase-X fibre equivalent. Again, this is likely to be by around 2012 or even earlier.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 28 February 2013, 15:50.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by smatty View Post
    You don't necessarily need cat6 for gigabit unless you have a really noisy (in electrical terms) environment, cat5e can have tighter bend radius, is cheaper and can still handle gigabit ethernet.
    When I upgraded to Gigabit I decided that my existing cables were at least 10 years old so thought a refresh wouldn't be a bad idea, and I went for Cat 6.

Originally posted by smatty View Post
    I would avoid all the usual suspects for cabling as they are very expensive, ridiculous that PCWorld/Staples/etc sell Belkin patch leads at £20! Look for an online network supplier as cost should be around 50p for a cat5e 1m one. Cat6 is only about 80p for a 1m one so not going to break the bank if you wanted to play it safe.
    WHS.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by convict View Post
    If you are into your hi-fi then Amazon.com: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable: Electronics do the best ones by far.

If you aren't concerned about your 1s and 0s, then just get some boggo cat5e/6 to cover you for 10GE upto 55m
    Check out the pictures and reviews.

And the Audioquest.
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 28 February 2013, 13:44.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I run 2 very short CAT5 cables from my QNAP to my gigabit switch which connects to my router.
    My router only handles the ADSL and WiFi, all my LAN connections go via a switch.

Leave a comment:

• smatty
    replied
    You don't necessarily need cat6 for gigabit unless you have a really noisy (in electrical terms) environment, cat5e can have tighter bend radius, is cheaper and can still handle gigabit ethernet.

I would avoid all the usual suspects for cabling as they are very expensive, ridiculous that PCWorld/Staples/etc sell Belkin patch leads at £20! Look for an online network supplier as cost should be around 50p for a cat5e 1m one. Cat6 is only about 80p for a 1m one so not going to break the bank if you wanted to play it safe.

Leave a comment:

• convict
    replied
    I'm ordering a TS-879 Pro NAS tomorrow, with 4 * 4 Tbyte disks and am wondering what LAN cable I should buy to link it to my router.

That may sound like a slightly (or very) silly question, with the obvious answer "any old cable will be fine". But as with anything there is a range of quality, depending largely on price presumably, and I'd be interested in recommendations for maybe better quality ones which would be more reliable and support higher data rates.
    If you are into your hi-fi then Amazon.com: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable: Electronics do the best ones by far.

If you aren't concerned about your 1s and 0s, then just get some boggo cat5e/6 to cover you for 10GE upto 55m

Leave a comment:

• onscreen
    replied
    Make sure it's a cat-6 cable to ensure you have gigabit connectivity over LAN.

Also best to buy them online from Amazon or something as they are much cheaper than the high-street.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I'm ordering a TS-879 Pro NAS tomorrow, with 4 * 4 Tbyte disks and am wondering what LAN cable I should buy to link it to my router.

That may sound like a slightly (or very) silly question, with the obvious answer "any old cable will be fine". But as with anything there is a range of quality, depending largely on price presumably, and I'd be interested in recommendations for maybe better quality ones which would be more reliable and support higher data rates.
    Anything should work as it's not going to be a long cable run or have lot of other cables bundled together with it, but if you are really concerned about it go for Cat6 or Cat6a cables.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X