• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Re-install Mac OSX without DVD drive"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Just kidding, I am a developer too,but for things I am not sure about I use this

HTH
    Google doesn't know the answer to everything, for fairly technical and uncommon things genuine human experts are still the best source.

Nick, you're right... on Snow Leopard I'm stuck with XCode 3.2.6 which has iOS SDK 4.3. I don't know if one can manually upgrade the SDK like you can in Visual Studio (sometimes) but I don't know if there's anything in iOS 5 I want to use - my interest is C++ 3D development so I'm only touching iOS itself for the bare minimum of things.
    Last edited by d000hg; 7 April 2012, 11:30.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes you do. But I don't think I especially need 4.x, and the very newest version isn't compatible with CMake, so I might stick with 10.6 until Mountain Lion comes out and then decide what to upgrade to.
    I reckon you'll probably have trouble writing for iOS 5.x on anything other than XCode 4, though I may be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    I'd hardly call asking if I can put two OS installers onto the same USB partition a clueless question for someone who never used a Mac before.

I suppose for a sysadmin like you installing an OS is bread & butter work, but us developers generally have other things to be doing.
    Just kidding, I am a developer too,but for things I am not sure about I use this

HTH

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    If you're planning to do iOS development I believe you need Lion to run the latest version of XCode et al.
    Yes you do. But I don't think I especially need 4.x, and the very newest version isn't compatible with CMake, so I might stick with 10.6 until Mountain Lion comes out and then decide what to upgrade to.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    My God d000gh I hope you don't act as clueless on site?
    I'd hardly call asking if I can put two OS installers onto the same USB partition a clueless question for someone who never used a Mac before.

I suppose for a sysadmin like you installing an OS is bread & butter work, but us developers generally have other things to be doing.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Take your spat elsewhere please

So another question I meant to ask - if I'm upgrading is it daft not to go to the newest OS version, given I will use the Mac for development (C++ iPad apps) and web browsing, and don't have any existing apps that need to work? Is 10.7 more resource hungry (this is a 4-year-old MacBook) at all, or more locked down for development, etc?
    If you're planning to do iOS development I believe you need Lion to run the latest version of XCode et al.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I want to re-install the OS to give me a clean install on my 2008 MacBook; I have the 10.5 DVD it came with but the DVD drive has failed.

Is it possible to do this over a network either by sharing my PC's DVD drive, or copying the DVD onto the MacBook (or some other drive) first?
    Copying onto another drive should work fine. Apple don't dick about with copy protection.

If you want to upgrade to Lion, you can get it in the Mac App Store and install it from a USB stick.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Quick update - I got the 10.6 DVD and copied to USB stick on a mate's Mac.

I'm now thinking about upgrading to Lion but I can imagine I might want to wipe it again for dev work. Is it possible I can put the Lion download on the same USB stick which has Snow Leopard, or would that require formatting the stick into two separate partitions?
    My God d000gh I hope you don't act as clueless on site?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Quick update - I got the 10.6 DVD and copied to USB stick on a mate's Mac.

I'm now thinking about upgrading to Lion but I can imagine I might want to wipe it again for dev work. Is it possible I can put the Lion download on the same USB stick which has Snow Leopard, or would that require formatting the stick into two separate partitions?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    If you are downloading from redhat or oracle they provide an md5 checksum so you can run sum to compare what you have downloaded with what they put up on the site.

The trouble is that mac dont have any md5 sums available because they don't do a legit image so short of a wanderd to the store to buy a copy you are running unverifiable software

By the way slashdot are running this story today.

apple.slashdot.org/story/12/03/28/2059230/maccontrol-trojan-being-used-in-targeted-attacks-against-os-x-users

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    How do you check you dodgy OS hasn't been tampered with? If you don't run Mac AV you wouldn't even know if it was done well.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    No I was a qualified sun / linux engineer for 12 years before I hung my hat up and went into architecture. Your misunderstanding of how a unix distribution is put together is staggeringly retarded. You apparently write code for a living personally I think you should probably sit in a corner with a dunces hat.

A lot of work has gone into OSX Lion to make it a difficult attack target, and in general a BSD environment its a pain in the arse to hack because unlike system V the emphasis is on secure coding. However if I take a binary within /usr/sbin and modify it, and then set a startup script to auto start a socket with that modded binary. When you download the modified ISO image I don't have to hack you anymore. The modified binary can run with root privs straight off I don't need to get through a firewall or elevate my privs any more because your laptop or server will come and find my bot controller using an https session or something else that my firewall has no reason to stop, and because the session is established inside to out the firewall is peirced.

You don't pickup software unless you know and trust where it is coming from. Especially in an environment where you are taking your own tools into a client and anyone can tamper with the code and compile it...

If you want to see what I am talking about

New Linux Distro Promoted as Anonymous-OS | threatpost

Mac users are the perfect target for tulip like this because the prevalence is we don't need no stinkin antivirus we are safe. and most mac heads are completely unaware that they run unix....

who do you trust?, unless you go through every piece of source code line by line then compile it yourself you can never be sure. Look at Sony with their root kit. I'm willing to take the risk, I won't just download anything, but I have good sources that I trust and check always check using my own tools.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Think you've been using Windows too long, take the tin foil hat off you freak of nature. The big corps love gullible idiots like you who bend over and hand their credit card details because you believe their stories about hackers installing trojans in everything not purchased through them. Twat
    No I was a qualified sun / linux engineer for 12 years before I hung my hat up and went into architecture. Your misunderstanding of how a unix distribution is put together is staggeringly retarded. You apparently write code for a living personally I think you should probably sit in a corner with a dunces hat.

A lot of work has gone into OSX Lion to make it a difficult attack target, and in general a BSD environment its a pain in the arse to hack because unlike system V the emphasis is on secure coding. However if I take a binary within /usr/sbin and modify it, and then set a startup script to auto start a socket with that modded binary. When you download the modified ISO image I don't have to hack you anymore. The modified binary can run with root privs straight off I don't need to get through a firewall or elevate my privs any more because your laptop or server will come and find my bot controller using an https session or something else that my firewall has no reason to stop, and because the session is established inside to out the firewall is peirced.

You don't pickup software unless you know and trust where it is coming from. Especially in an environment where you are taking your own tools into a client and anyone can tamper with the code and compile it...

If you want to see what I am talking about

New Linux Distro Promoted as Anonymous-OS | threatpost

Mac users are the perfect target for tulip like this because the prevalence is we don't need no stinkin antivirus we are safe. and most mac heads are completely unaware that they run unix....

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I found 10.7 faster on my 2007 iMac which I had then. I see 10.7 and indeed 10.8 as evolutions - each seems to get faster on same hardware.
    I've found the same on every version since 10.1. The next major OS version on the same hardware has been faster and more reliable, and on at least one occasion speed ups have come with maintenance releases.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Think you've been using Windows too long, take the tin foil hat off you freak of nature. The big corps love gullible idiots like you who bend over and hand their credit card details because you believe their stories about hackers installing trojans in everything not purchased through them. Twat
    You just described Apples justification for iTunes and the AppStore

Leave a comment:

Working...
X