• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apple Laptop - Air vs Book Pro"

Collapse

• dino1300
    replied
    MacBook Pro and IPhone

Does anyone know if there is any reason why I cannot get a MacBook Pro and IPhone on the 2K limit for flat rate VAT?

I intend to create a iPhone app, so it is legitimate development cost, but would it be questioned?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    so that's your excuse. I simply thought it was more money than sense.
    If I had more money than sense I'd have a 12 core mac pro sat in my office Although when Diablo 3 comes out that would make a great rig...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Very very soon

Therefore I need an Iphone Ipad, MBA and a MBP !!!!!
    so that's your excuse. I simply thought it was more money than sense.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    So summarising then:

- the new "macbook air pro" will be essentially an upgraded macbook pro in terms of CPU with the thickness of the macbook air (i.e SSD and no optical drive)
    - it will most likely use the new Intel Ivy Bridge quad core CPU in the 15" version
    - possibly the 13" version will use the new quad core ivy bridge but there are some issues with heat dissipation in such a small body so there's a good chance the dual core version of the new Ivy Bridge will be used
    - upstream supply chain reports suggest mass production starts in April with far more 13" models being ordered

Interesting..

If mass production starts in April, when would that suggest the new macbook is announced/released?
    Very very soon

Personally I don't think the MBP will be quite as small as the Air because I can't see Apple killing an entire market. I think that many Apple users justify the purchase of the phone, pad, Ultra laptop and big daddy MBP as they all have different functions...
    for instance.
    If I am in bed surfing I don't want something that gets hot sat on my lap. So the pads fine...
    I answer emails on a pad but I don't want to write documents on it...
    So my MBP is perfect for drawing Visio diagrams and doing the word crafting stuff....
    But I wouldn't want to take it into a data centre because the battery life sucks....
    So an Air makes a good travel machine that can last most of the day in the data centre...

Therefore I need an Iphone Ipad, MBA and a MBP !!!!!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    So summarising then:

- the new "macbook air pro" will be essentially an upgraded macbook pro in terms of CPU with the thickness of the macbook air (i.e SSD and no optical drive)
    - it will most likely use the new Intel Ivy Bridge quad core CPU in the 15" version
    - possibly the 13" version will use the new quad core ivy bridge but there are some issues with heat dissipation in such a small body so there's a good chance the dual core version of the new Ivy Bridge will be used
    - upstream supply chain reports suggest mass production starts in April with far more 13" models being ordered

Interesting..

If mass production starts in April, when would that suggest the new macbook is announced/released?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    the second, the rumours of a macbook air thickness macbook pro

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    does anyone have any links for this?
    Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch): Connection options for Thunderbolt Macs

Is that what you were looking for?

Or

http://macbookpro.macrumors.com/
    Last edited by bobspud; 29 March 2012, 06:13.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Yes. As long as you are not planning to write the laptop off in a year.
    whats the depreciation policy for computers? 4yrs?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    The unofficial noise is that the pro will be the same format as the air when it gets its revision.

The the current Air will only run a single thunderbolt display while the Pro will run 2 or more. The 15" Pro is very portable however 1k is not going to get you a worthwhile spec.
    does anyone have any links for this?

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Still waiting for it being delivered along with my mac mini, I guess because I specced it up it has to be built?

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    The Air doesn't have a slot for a security lock. YMMV but I do use it occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Nice one, top spec it is then!
    It's actually worth getting a full spec list together and then making a single purchase rather than doing what I did and spend 2.k on the laptop then 6 months later another 1600 on 2 thunderbolt screens only to now be considering a third screen...

If I had left it all in my piggy bank I would have ended up with a free screen...

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Yep, if the VAT inclusive prices is over £2000 you can claim back the VAT.

So if it costs £1999.99 (inc VAT) then you pay £1999.99. If it costs £2000 (inc VAT) then you reclaim the VAT and it only costs £1600. It's a no brainer.
    Nice one, top spec it is then!

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    So can you claim back the full 20% do say it was £2000 I can claim back £400?
    Yep, if the VAT inclusive prices is over £2000 you can claim back the VAT.

So if it costs £1999.99 (inc VAT) then you pay £1999.99. If it costs £2000 (inc VAT) then you reclaim the VAT and it only costs £1600. It's a no brainer.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    So can you claim back the full 20% do say it was £2000 I can claim back £400?
    Yes. As long as you are not planning to write the laptop off in a year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X