• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Public IP

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Public IP"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Sorted - it was gateway settings.
    Now it's asking me for a username and password and says it's a video server.

Looks like you've cracked it.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Sorted - it was gateway settings.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 9 March 2012, 21:54.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    You won't be able to ping your external IP from an internal network.

Use https://w ww.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to verify if your port 80 is open or not.

Then find your router on here - http ://portforward.com/

GE
    Yep, portforward confirms port is not open, and can now ping router. I'll play a bit more next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    You won't be able to ping your external IP from an internal network.

Use https://w ww.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to verify if your port 80 is open or not.

Then find your router on here - http ://portforward.com/

GE

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Yep - I was fiddling with DMZ settings - there was a 'allow ping' checkbox which seems to have, er, allowed ping. It's a start!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Yep, turned remote management back off. Just wanted to see if it would work.

IP is 86.13.144.252

PFPortChecker can't ping it either, so guessing it's something on my router.
    I just managed to ping it from here.

Code:
    ping 86.13.144.252
    PING 86.13.144.252 (86.13.144.252) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 86.13.144.252: icmp_req=1 ttl=51 time=98.0 ms
    64 bytes from 86.13.144.252: icmp_req=2 ttl=51 time=102 ms
    64 bytes from 86.13.144.252: icmp_req=3 ttl=51 time=86.3 ms
    64 bytes from 86.13.144.252: icmp_req=4 ttl=51 time=95.6 ms
    No response from a browser though.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Silly question maybe but does your ISP allow incoming connections on port 80?

Is there a way to try a different port?
    The remote management uses 8080 - that didn't work either. Could be an ISP thing - I'll keep googling...

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Silly question maybe but does your ISP allow incoming connections on port 80?

Is there a way to try a different port?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Yep, turned remote management back off. Just wanted to see if it would work.

IP is 86.13.144.252

PFPortChecker can't ping it either, so guessing it's something on my router.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I think remote management is usually to allow you to access the settings dashboard from outside your network. Probably best to leave it off.

What do you get if you go to www.whatismyip.com? If you that's the same IP you gave to your OH to check then maybe his office firewall is blocking it.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    What IP address are you trying to reach from outside? If its one of your own internal IPs then it wont work. You have to connect to the external IP that you have NATed.
    Yep - I think that's the problem. The external IP isn't pingable (I thought it was as it pings from our local network, but having dispatched OH to office he's getting no response).

Router seems to have very few options - I tried the 'enable remote management' option and that didn't work either - still can't ping. I've set port forwarding on port 80. There doesn't seem to be anything else that looks relevant. Will keep googling...

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    What IP address are you trying to reach from outside? If its one of your own internal IPs then it wont work. You have to connect to the external IP that you have NATed.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Does it work in the dark? I want to set up a mouse cam in my shed to watch the little buggers eat the peanuts and seed I put down for them
    Yep - got IR. The only time the picture quality is poor is for about half an hour at dawn and dusk.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Does it work in the dark? I want to set up a mouse cam in my shed to watch the little buggers eat the peanuts and seed I put down for them

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Titcam? really?
    Did you miss my thread? Not too late to catch up on the action!

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...e-my-tits.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X