• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Virgin Business Broadband"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So can we have a summary of the changes you've made please Faq?

I'm just toying with the same. I have XL packages for TV, Broadband & Phone. I've just bought two Freeview boxes but discovered that I don't have a working aerial on the roof.

My bill per month(all inclusive) is coming in at £105 per month. Now I was toying with dropping the TV completely, paying £130 to have the aerials fixed and using my two new Humax boxes. Virgin has given me a crap quote of £44 per month for Phone + Talk International + Unlimited and Broadband XL 20. I pay personally.

I've just come across this thread and you've pointed out that you were going to go for a business account? Of course that now means I can put this through on my business account. But what have you put through(Phone as well & are you taking out personal calls)? How much is it now costing? And how much is the relative saving by going through the business?
    In the end, I didn't go for a business account, because they were only offering 30Mb or 50Mb speeds for some reason - but I could get 100Mbps on a personal deal.

We now have L TV (free until April 12th, when I'll switch back to M+), L phone, 100 Broadband. We don't have any of the sports or the films because they never get watched, which saves a packet.

We would have needed a new aerial (last one fell off the roof at some stage, and only came down fully when we had the gutters cleared and the guy brought down a huge lump of metal which would have killed someone if it fell on them!), which was an extra cost, plus the freeview recorder as well, so it worked out cheaper. We also ditched the V+ box (£5 a month extra) and replaced it with a Tivo (£3 a month extra) which is better and had a much larger hard drive.

Virgin start rolling out faster broadband speeds this summer, and I had a letter saying that there would be a price cut (I think). The 20Mb goes to 30; 30 to 50; 50 to 100; 100 to 120. When it comes, I'll probably ditch the 120 and go back to the 100, since it's not worth the extra.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Speedtest just peaked at 101.3 Mbps download and 9 Mbps upload

So can we have a summary of the changes you've made please Faq?

I'm just toying with the same. I have XL packages for TV, Broadband & Phone. I've just bought two Freeview boxes but discovered that I don't have a working aerial on the roof.

My bill per month(all inclusive) is coming in at £105 per month. Now I was toying with dropping the TV completely, paying £130 to have the aerials fixed and using my two new Humax boxes. Virgin has given me a crap quote of £44 per month for Phone + Talk International + Unlimited and Broadband XL 20. I pay personally.

I've just come across this thread and you've pointed out that you were going to go for a business account? Of course that now means I can put this through on my business account. But what have you put through(Phone as well & are you taking out personal calls)? How much is it now costing? And how much is the relative saving by going through the business?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied

I read earlier on The Register comments that Virgin are cheating a bit by prioritising connections to the popular speed testing sites.

I see a flaw in this ever increasing fibre connectivity. At some point Virgin and BT have to peer with the outside world. Logically that means they can't provide the same speeds as they can for internal networking, or if they can it gets expensive for them.

I don't suppose it matters if you're not expecting 100mbps connections to every internet resource, as not much requires that throughput anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    [QUOTE=wim121;1458465]
    That is a massive security risk, entrusting your privacy and data to providers that have either built their business selling on peoples digital/financial profiles
    Which data companies built their business selling personal information without permission? Those companies rely on their reputation to get custom.
    or ones where you cannot guarantee the security.
    You can never guarantee security. And the convenience of immediate backup outweighs the small risk IMO... it's a higher risk that local backups will fail or be damaged in whatever causes the need for a restore in the first place... e.g. your house burns down.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Is the super hub the pile of tulip it used to be. The number of nightmares technically competent friends have had with them has simply put me totally off the idea of upgrading.
    If memory serves, it's a standard Netgear router with Virgin branding.

Dunno what it's like - installation is tomorrow afternoon, but I expect it will be a pain to configure the static IP addresses which my current router does for me automagically.

I suspect that I'll need to get a gigabit switch anyway to go with it, since I think there are only four wired ports and with the Tivo now also having the ethernet port enabled, that's all of them permanently used up without leaving a cable dangling for the laptop like I have at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• biondani
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Is the super hub the pile of tulip it used to be. The number of nightmares technically competent friends have had with them has simply put me totally off the idea of upgrading.
    It's still tulipe but not quite as bad as it was before the firmware upgrade a few months ago. I tend to need to reboot it around once per month rather than once or twice a week now. Normally the wireless connection drops or DNS just fails to resolve.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I was on the same.

The new connection will also give me a "Virgin Super Hub" (WTF?) which means that when things go wrong, I can ring them and not have to go through the "you're using your own router, can you unplug it and go from the modem to the laptop" discussion.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    The Tivo box also has it's own 10Mbps connection as well, so anything that comes through there doesn't hit your download limit or connection speed.

(I wonder if I can hack a Tivo to do bittorrent and then get the files off there afterwards.....)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Coolio, a 200% increase.

Do you have a URL for this announcement?
    BBC News

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I was on the same.

They announced today that they are upgrading again between February and mid-2013. If you are on a 20Mb package, it will go to 60Mb with no additional cost. 50Mb goes to 100Mb, 100Mb goes to 120Mb, 10Mb goes to 20Mb.

Sometimes, I'll get close to the 20Mb I pay for, but not very often. Speedtest has just given me 11.68 on a wired connection through a gigabit switch. The new connection will also give me a "Virgin Super Hub" (WTF?) which means that when things go wrong, I can ring them and not have to go through the "you're using your own router, can you unplug it and go from the modem to the laptop" discussion.
    Coolio, a 200% increase.

Do you have a URL for this announcement?

EDIT:
    Answer
    PCPro article
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 11 January 2012, 11:11.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Obviously a compenisatory thing.

I am on Virgin XL broadband and its still at 20Mb, reliable at around 18Mb most of the time!!!
    Although their standard seems to be 30Mb on XL.

From what I remember 50Mb + services are not traffic managed at all.
    I was on the same.

They announced today that they are upgrading again between February and mid-2013. If you are on a 20Mb package, it will go to 60Mb with no additional cost. 50Mb goes to 100Mb, 100Mb goes to 120Mb, 10Mb goes to 20Mb.

Sometimes, I'll get close to the 20Mb I pay for, but not very often. Speedtest has just given me 11.68 on a wired connection through a gigabit switch. The new connection will also give me a "Virgin Super Hub" (WTF?) which means that when things go wrong, I can ring them and not have to go through the "you're using your own router, can you unplug it and go from the modem to the laptop" discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    100Mb connection on order - installation Thursday afternoon.

Obviously a compenisatory thing.

I am on Virgin XL broadband and its still at 20Mb, reliable at around 18Mb most of the time!!!
    Although their standard seems to be 30Mb on XL.

From what I remember 50Mb + services are not traffic managed at all.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Crashplan! Currently backing up my entire NAS (Several TB's) of accumulated stuff (Linux Distros of course) all for bait $5.00 a month. Taking AGES to rysnc tho....
    The Virgin backup stuff is free on my new plan

I just need a Windows machine so that I can run the backup program

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Actually tho where can you find Sun Directory Server 5.2 for AIX now - Oracle killed it, I have it, and RHEL for pSeries, I have 'em, disappeared online...

I'd rather have them to hand...
    I've seen lots of stuff go offline over the last few years. It's a real pain when the newer releases break something, or discontinue support for that old but still useful piece of once expensive hardware you have.

Last year HP put a paywall in front of their patches for their own operating systems last year - no support contract, no access.

Which is a bugger when a day zero vulnerability comes to the surface.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X