• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ballmer slams android"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Steve Ballmer isn't known for having his finger on the pulse. A few years ago he was laughing at the iPhone for being expensive.
    hee hee I bet Mr. Jobs laughed all the way to the bank too. Say, isn't that Nortel on the screen behind him. He sure is good picking partners this Ballmer chap.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Actually I'm not even sure anyone knows - it's a whole bunch of patents MS claim are infringed and I believe (happy to be corrected if anyone has a link) the phone manufacturers stump up rather than go to court... notably Google doesn't step in to protect/support their partners.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    MS charge a patent 'tax' on Android though. I have £30/handset in my head but that could be way off.
    I wonder what the patent is, does android bsod?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    MS charge a patent 'tax' on Android though. I have £30/handset in my head but that could be way off.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It's interesting that Android has got such a massive amount of the market
    Probably because there are few restrictions on developers, they only pay 1/3rd to Google but most of all, many manufacturers making them, so the hardware is cheap. Paid £29.99 for my phone and a few weeks later I could have got it for £19.99. How much us the cheapest Iphone or Blackberry?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Good argument. That means Windows is much better than MacOSX, and loads better than Linux?
    Yes on both counts.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    No doubt you also predicted Bing taking over from Google.

If you've nothing sensible to say how about sodding off back to General and leave the serious conversations for the grown-ups. There's a good boy.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Steve Ballmer isn't known for having his finger on the pulse. A few years ago he was laughing at the iPhone for being expensive.
    He was right, though - it is expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If you get comfortable with the way a phone works, then it's difficult for a relative newcomer to break into that.

I've had an Android phone since I got the G1 when they first became generally available. I use Google Apps for my business email, documents and calendar. I use Gmail for my personal mail and Google calendar for my personal calendar. When I get a new phone, there's no problems with migration or anything like that - Market automatically keeps track of the Apps I've downloaded, so I just need to hit a button and download them again.

Switching to a Windows phone isn't going to be easy - I'm too comfortable with the OS that I like. The Windows offering would have to be fantastic to get someone who has used Android for a while to consider switching. I've switched manufacturer a three times over four phones with Android (Google to HTC to Samsung), so am not averse to change, but I don't think I could consider a switch to MS just because of the hassle of trying to find replacements for the things I know I use and like.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Thats going to pee of Nokia somewhat!
    Im sure they are peed off plenty when they look at their share prices over the last few years from 38 to 6.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    the Windows 7 phone has already flopped, they will kill it by end of next year.
    Thats going to pee of Nokia somewhat!

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    But people don't especially choose Android - they choose not to have an iPhone and then choose the handset they want. So if MS have decent handsets and a decent UI, they can get in. As long as it does email, web-browsing, music playing and Angry Birds the majority don't care. Things like Skype/Facebook integration (MS are tight with FB) are also pluses whereas Android is rather amorphous.
    No doubt you also predicted Bing taking over from Google.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    I remember everyone saying that MS didn't have a chance in the console market, everyone was a Playstation, Sega or Nintendo fan and there seemed to be just no room or need for another player. They got there on quality of the platform and a large existing base of PC developers. Same for WP7 I reckon.

Fragmentation will be Androids demise, Apple & MS have put strict hardware & software requirements in place for their platforms to ensure everything works for everyone.

If you look at Android phone reviews now, its all, handset x has full access to the market, handset y has no market access at all, handset z has limited market access but we couldn't get apps a, b & c to run etc etc.
    That's what they said with Kin and the Zune, the Windows 7 phone has already flopped, they will kill it by end of next year. The Zune also got good reviews but it was too little to late.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Too late, the market will be split between Android and iOS.
    But people don't especially choose Android - they choose not to have an iPhone and then choose the handset they want. So if MS have decent handsets and a decent UI, they can get in. As long as it does email, web-browsing, music playing and Angry Birds the majority don't care. Things like Skype/Facebook integration (MS are tight with FB) are also pluses whereas Android is rather amorphous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X