• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Database Centric Website Development - Dreamweaver Coldfusion"

Collapse

• jeremytaxman
    replied
    The idea is that the back end database can be Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server etc .... the application shouldn't have licensed libraries ... the hosting can be intranet or internet ....

ScriptCase generates pure PHP which can be deployed to any PHP enabled web server, no scriptcase libraries to manage and thus no licences to buy. The database layer can connect to all common databases so can utilise whatever the customer has.

Its a proper 4GL ..... cheap given the productivity .... check out the video walkthrough on the link.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If they have Oracle, why not use APEX, which is free with the DB?

Leave a comment:

• jeremytaxman
    replied
    Found my answer ............

Found a 4GL PHP generator called ScriptCase .... seems brilliant.

http://www.scriptcase.net/phpgenerat...eos/videos.php

Thanks all - closed.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Is the plan that the companies will install the software themselves and run it on their own servers.

If so you need to factor in what software do the companies currently use and support. Many clientcos may not accept a php solution as its against corporate policy while asp.net would be acceptable. Some will want a hosted solution in which case your decision to use Oracle may come back to haunt you.

Before deciding on the language you may want to do some market research.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Got a link?
    here you go

He's right on aws's micro instances as well. Its only when you throw databases and other resources onto the servers that they get stressed out so you can get brilliant load balanced throughput by using micro instances provided you keep databases out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• jeremytaxman
    replied
    .... bit more ...

Take The Tour | Yii Framework

Leave a comment:

• jeremytaxman
    replied
    Yii framework

Looking at the RAD comparison mentioned earlier, I found the following PHP framework called Yii

About Yii | Yii Framework

What does the panel think ..... anybody used it ?

hopefully not a tech dead end in a few years !

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Pud from F***company did spec his infrastructure recently. Its a good read and not as daft as you would think (dropbox for deployment to test instances is brilliant and lazy).

Got a link?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Solutions such as Iron Speed may be worth investigating.

There's one or two alternatives out there:

List of rapid application development tools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would be quicker to knock something up in Notepad than decide which is the best of those.

Leave a comment:

• jeremytaxman
    replied
    Thanks Guys ... very good contributions. So CF is dead it seems as 3k server licence is simply prohibitive. My customers will have Oracle, and I don't want to pay extra licence costs when I sell them my product.

Back in the day I used Perl / CGI and Hotel Metal Pro as my WYSIWYG editor jumping into a text editor as required ... but that was 1999. Personally I dislike Java, not the language and have made good use of it, but Java projects ... too many opinionated people taking too long to knock out mediocre apps - and don't get me started on Hibernate.

A GUI maintaining data in a database is a basic app .... and we've had many 4GLs doing it well over the years during fat client days... Oracle SQL*Forms, Delphi, VB even Access can knock up a form and access any database via ODBC (ok limitations) in about 2 min.

So I'm looking for a 4GL to the basic things over the web ... like data entry sceens (forms) with validations, and I don't want pages refreshing everytime a field is entered, or a dependent drop-down is re-populated. All of these are basic things and I shouldn't have to drop down into manual scripting with a text editor, basically the 3GL approach. Reverting to a text editor should only be necessary in special cases such as optimisation.

I mentioned DW because I previously found HM Pro (rip2005) useful, and could be good for developing a more professional site in less time. But HTML is lightweight enough to code by hand.

So are we saying go for PHP and HTML editor of choice - possibly developed using NotePad

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Fair enough

If you think that's harsh though, try recommending MS Front Page
    How about Microsoft Expression. I've never got it to work with any Visual Studio project I've wanted to use it on and supposedly its fully integrable.

As for language it depends on what operating system you want/ need to host on.

If its windows go for C# and Sql server. If its Linux php (although personally I would go for Modperl) and Mysql. You can go for Oracle put welcome to the world of their randomly changing licencing charges where the only rule is that they change it in their favour and want more money.

Pud from F***company did spec his infrastructure recently.

Its a good read and not as daft as you would think (dropbox for deployment to test instances is brilliant and lazy).

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh! I'm not a regular web-site designer or PHP coder and so I find DW a very useful tool, much easier than writing HTML / PHP in notepad.

However for someone who lives and breathes webby stuff, I can see why you wouldn't need it.
    Fair enough

If you think that's harsh though, try recommending MS Front Page

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh, and DreamWeaver sucks.
    I think that's a bit harsh! I'm not a regular web-site designer or PHP coder and so I find DW a very useful tool, much easier than writing HTML / PHP in notepad.

However for someone who lives and breathes webby stuff, I can see why you wouldn't need it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Good God, is ColdFusion still out there? I assumed it had long since gone the way of its experimental namesake.

There are a lot more PHP than CF developers out there, and the number of CF developers isn't getting any bigger, so PHP is the better long-term option out of the two.

As far as the database aspect is concerned: use the PDO data-access abstraction layer to avoid dependence on a specific database platform being baked into the PHP code itself. Also, avoid or minimise db-specific SQL constructs. That way it should be possible to switch to a different db with minimum hassle, assuming you have a comprehensive test suite.

PHP is free as in beer.

Oh, and DreamWeaver sucks. I'm not sure why you're lumping it with PHP: one is a bloated, expensive and not very good desktop application for designers who are confused by HTML tags, and the other is a free scripting language that can be closely integrated with many web servers. I've done a lot of PHP work; but I've never used DreamWeaver, nor seen it used. I think somebody I worked with back in 2007 had used it several years before when they were starting to learn.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 11 October 2011, 17:24.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    CF on MS is straight forward - no troubles.

License will be $3000 approx

runs with java nicely - connects to Oracle no problems.

can be sluggish if you dont tune it right.

Can be very useful to get stuff done quickly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X