• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Google took me to a random site?"

Collapse

• DizzySolutions
    replied
    Hi,

This sounds suspiciously like a TDSS rootkit - these typically aren't picked up by standard antivirus solutions.

Previously I have run TDSSKiller from Kaspersky which does the job beautifully. Here is the link to their download page: Virus-fighting utilities, simply run it and hopefully it will find and remove it for you.

Hope it helps.

Alan Martin
    Dizzy Solutions

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Can that be used in conjunction with my existing protection software (MSE)?
    Yes you can, simply download and run as a one-off, it won't clash with MSE

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Never get any of this on the ole Mac...

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    Yeah this happened to me, it was a virus that only affected Firefox.

I tried a few things to get rid of it, but nothing seemed to stick. I did in fact reinstall Windows in the end, but not because of that!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    It means you have some spyware. Time to wipe your hard drive and reinstall from scratch. Trust me, it'll be easier.
    I think I'll decline the invitation to wipe my entire PC due to one odd thing it did, at the suggestion of a stranger on the web, when nothing is triggering my scanning software alarms. Will do a more full scan though and see what we see.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    I searched for <company name> and got http://www.<company name>.com/ as the top result. I clicked on the main link and randomly ended up at a totally different domain. I hit "back" and clicked the exact same link, this time I am on the expected site. It doesn't show up in my web history... any idea what this means?
    It means you have some spyware. Time to wipe your hard drive and reinstall from scratch. Trust me, it'll be easier.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Download and run MalwareBytes (free), you have a nasty lurking somewhere which is redirecting you. They can be buggers to get rid of.
    Can that be used in conjunction with my existing protection software (MSE)?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I searched for <company name> and got http://www.<company name>.com/ as the top result. I clicked on the main link and randomly ended up at a totally different domain. I hit "back" and clicked the exact same link, this time I am on the expected site. It doesn't show up in my web history... any idea what this means?
    Download and run MalwareBytes (free), you have a nasty lurking somewhere which is redirecting you. They can be buggers to get rid of.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I would blame those hackers. Thought I would clean out all the cookies a few days ago and found this one:

<my user id>@lulzsecurity[1].txt

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    There's nobody else here but me, genuine occurrance in this case

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    ahh yes that is EXACTLY what happens to me whenever the gf happens to look over my shoulder and also coincidently when the onsite pm is around go figure.

i swear i didn't goto the site i'm now seeing, google redirected me

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Google took me to a random site?

Google took me to a random site?

Working...
X