• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Why I love My Mac

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why I love My Mac"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I wouldn't mind upgrading from 10.5 to 10.7, but it appears I won't be able to... I also don't even have an iTunes account and would rather not get one. Sell me a damn DVD/CD...!!!
    To upgrade you can buy a Snow Leopard DVD, then go from there. If you have the right hardware it might be worth buying Snow Leopard while it's still in the shops.

I've managed to avoid getting an iTunes account so far (what did they really expect when so much stuff "isn't available from your local Apple Store"?). Someone told me that iTunes vouchers may be another way to go. With all the hacks going on at the moment I really don't want to give start dishing out credit card details to yet another company.

I like Apple software, but they seem to want to force US buying habits on us.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Also not there. I checked before I posted. There's only dev releases, not gold master. In fact rumor has it that you can't install a gold master unless you already have Snow Leopard installed. No one is sure how that will work for brand new kit though.
    It's there on TPB and the Green Demon. Version reported after install is 11A511.

Looks finished to me but there's always the chance of a last minute change. Having said that I've always been a beta freak and the OSX GM torrents have usually been the correct release.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I wouldn't mind upgrading from 10.5 to 10.7, but it appears I won't be able to... I also don't even have an iTunes account and would rather not get one. Sell me a damn DVD/CD...!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    There's only dev releases, not gold master. In fact rumor has it that you can't install a gold master unless you already have Snow Leopard installed. No one is sure how that will work for brand new kit though.
    I don't think it's a rumour that Snow Leopard is a prerequisite.

I think that brand new kit will have Lion already installed. Apparently Lion comes with a recovery partition and recovery tools.

You will want to be taking backups in case the system disk fails. Maybe this is an attempt to boost Time Capsule and/or Extend Care sales.
    Last edited by Sysman; 4 July 2011, 12:27.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Also not there. I checked before I posted. There's only dev releases, not gold master. In fact rumor has it that you can't install a gold master unless you already have Snow Leopard installed. No one is sure how that will work for brand new kit though.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    ..or not, given that it's:

1) Not being released as a DVD release so you can't physically buy it from any of the usual places
    2) Has not been released yet, so you can't buy it at all
    I assume my "usual places" he means torrent site etc

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    or crApple etc...
    Of course. Restricting derision to one OS-group would be rather hypocritical under the circumstances

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    And 10.7 Lion is GM now, available in the usual places......
    ..or not, given that it's:

1) Not being released as a DVD release so you can't physically buy it from any of the usual places
    2) Has not been released yet, so you can't buy it at all

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    And mac users don't wash their clothes, they throw them away and by the latest trendy ones instead?
    I thought that apple recently launched it's new line of Emperor clothes; "zero washing, zero storage, zero baggage"

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    And mac users don't wash their clothes, they throw them away and by the latest trendy ones instead?
    Oh no no, we just wear black that way the stains don't show.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I now associate Windaz and Daz one of the same brand typically used by the little people; you know the ones that pay taxes.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I now associate Windaz and Daz one of the same brand typically used by the little people; you know the ones that pay taxes.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Rule #1. Anyone who says "M$" or "windaz", etc, is by definition not worth listening to regardless which side they are on.
    or crApple etc...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Rule #1. Anyone who says "M$" or "windaz", etc, is by definition not worth listening to regardless which side they are on.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    This is the thing that annoys me most about you iCultists. Just because you have some (obviously quite good) software on a Mac, you think that the reason you can do what you can do is because you bought a Mac. But it's just software. The same software could do the same thing when ported to Windows, it's nothing to do with Macs vs Windows.
    It's like saying Buddhism could work with Paganism with the proper robes; no it couldn't. It's like still windaz inside and somehow you know the blue screen of death still lurks waiting for the opportune moment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X