• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Netbook?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Netbook?"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I recently bought a Acer Aspire Netbook with Windows 7 starter. It costed me 149 quids from Tesco and has a very decent spec. On top of that it offered a dual boot with Android!
    That sounds worthy of serious consideration.

I use my netbook quite a bit and vastly more than I ever expected to, it's especially handy when I'm travelling a fair bit and in hotels. I don't do non work stuff on my work laptop so it's a great compromise between reasonable functionality and size/weight.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I recently bought a Acer Aspire Netbook with Windows 7 starter. It costed me 149 quids from Tesco and has a very decent spec. On top of that it offered a dual boot with Android!

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    iPad. Yeuch. I just see these tossers knobbing it up in Starbucks with their oversized iPods and just....no.

I will have a look round and report back on what I see, I will probably need further help when it comes to spec as I'm about as techy as a slug.
    <snip>
    Last edited by realityhack; 1 February 2011, 17:31. Reason: Not in technical, Dearnla.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I don't want to spend anywhere near that - that was what I spent on the current crap I'm using. It's huge (for work purposes, I need a big screen) which is part of the reason I think it was so expensive, as well as all the other add on's I don't use.

I don't think a mac is really worth it for someone like me, so I'd probably rather cap the budget at 400 quid and see what that will get me. Will have a scout round and report back!
    So what's the answer after your research. You seem like a similar kind of technical numpty cheapskate to me and I need to get one too.

OG

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by sjpknight View Post
    Can anyone recommend a laptop/netbook/tablet pc that's designed to cope with greasy/sticky toddler mitts, since that's what mine invariably end up dealing with!
    One Laptop per Child (OLPC): Laptop

Leave a comment:

• sjpknight
    replied
    Can anyone recommend a laptop/netbook/tablet pc that's designed to cope with greasy/sticky toddler mitts, since that's what mine invariably end up dealing with!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I don't want to spend anywhere near that - that was what I spent on the current crap I'm using. It's huge (for work purposes, I need a big screen) which is part of the reason I think it was so expensive, as well as all the other add on's I don't use.

I don't think a mac is really worth it for someone like me, so I'd probably rather cap the budget at 400 quid and see what that will get me. Will have a scout round and report back!
    If you need a big screen make sure that whatever you get can connect to an external monitor. I find this invaluable on my 13" laptop when I'm tired or doing stuff that requires more screen real estate.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Macs aside, over a grand for a laptop is outside the realms of what you need for internet stuff unless you want a massive screen or something special. The cost of a top-end iPad is what I'd look to spend in your place, whichever way I went.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    There's a ton of irritations because you are now out of touch with how it works. I found exactly the same when I got my Mac... simple things are a PITA.
    Being "out of touch" was true at first, but why can't the thing get the orientation of my photos correct? Where is ssh? Where is a decent editor? Where is a decent backup solution?

And why does the wretched thing force a reboot at something like 3 in the morning after applying patched without warning? Even when I have apps open?

Yes, most of that lot can be resolved, but having forked out for the top of the range in W7 Ultimate, there's an awful lot of missing.

And please don't mention the command line utilities. Their interfaces are truly from the dark ages.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    There's a ton of irritations because you are now out of touch with how it works. I found exactly the same when I got my Mac... simple things are a PITA.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Remember that with an iPad, you won't be fighting with MS updates, anti-virus, firewalls, things suddenly deciding not to work, weird and wonderful registry hacks, black screen of death...

I hope I don't sound like a salesman, as I haven't got an iPhone/iPad/mac myself, but the reasons for using these seems more and more compelling as time goes by (IMO).
    Seconded. I don't have an iPad myself but having recently started using Windows after a decade avoiding it, there are a ton of irritations. You've also got to acquire a pile of apps to do what comes as standard on an Apple machine.

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    Macs aside, over a grand for a laptop is outside the realms of what you need for internet stuff unless you want a massive screen or something special. The cost of a top-end iPad is what I'd look to spend in your place, whichever way I went.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    Mate just got a pro, I think he said it was £800, is that good?

My current laptop was £1300 as I allowed my ex to choose it, and I use it in a very, very limited function as you can probably tell.
    £1300 pound will get you a nice mac, or as already stated a bunch of netbooks, or a selection of other laptops. Do you have a budget in mind? a basic macbook or macbook air is coming in at £867. Basic netbooks £200 plus. Ipad - £439 - £541 (Just wifi or with wifi and 3G).

I think as has already been suggested try some of the options. My local PC World has a selection of all of the above. Try them and see what you fancy.

HTH

p.s. My preference would be a macbook air. Have just recently used on of the new ones and they are beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    They are pretty straightforward really. I knew nowt at all about Macs then bought one and the first session was WTF is this thing but I found after a few days of use it all made sense.

Bonus of Mac is you can dual boot Windows so you can run the OS you are used to...stuff Mary doesn't understand....

Big drawback as said is price, you'd get 3 Netbooks for the price of a 13" Mac, but, you gets what you pay for.
    Mate just got a pro, I think he said it was £800, is that good?

My current laptop was £1300 as I allowed my ex to choose it, and I use it in a very, very limited function as you can probably tell.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X