• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Keyboards

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Keyboards"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
    ps2 to usb convertor - Google Search

These have been around for donkeys and cost a quid
    A lot of second hand model Ms have the old fashioned AT style connectors. You can get a modern one though, a company called unicomp bought the tooling and still makes them.

Customizer 104/105

Edit: or an adapter is 59p

Now can I justify buying another keyboard? Ms doodab is already aghast at the amount of unused stuff lying around the place.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-...oard-converter
    Last edited by doodab; 26 August 2011, 10:39.

Leave a comment:

• StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I know the ones you mean, the first proper PC I owned was an IBM PS/2. They are nice. Not sure how practical it is to get working with USB though.
    ps2 to usb convertor - Google Search

These have been around for donkeys and cost a quid

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Doodab, never had you down as a philistine!!

That keyboard is clever but looks more like a wetdream for a warcraft nerd rather than a functional day to day keyboard. Keys look like something from a DIY kit years ago, apart from the individual display.

Maybe it is me that is the philistine lol
    Yes, I do wonder how much use it would actually be in practice. I think it would be handy when switching languages and in programs that have a lot of obscure keyboard shortcuts although like most people I learn the useful ones and forget the others. If it was only £200 I'd probably buy one to find out but not at that price.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Nice, but I don't think it would fit with my decor. I'm tempted by one of these:

Optimus Maximus keyboard
    Doodab, never had you down as a philistine!!

That keyboard is clever but looks more like a wetdream for a warcraft nerd rather than a functional day to day keyboard. Keys look like something from a DIY kit years ago, apart from the individual display.

Maybe it is me that is the philistine lol

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You want one of these babies...
    Nice, but I don't think it would fit with my decor. I'm tempted by one of these:

Optimus Maximus keyboard

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You want one of these babies...

Datamancer.net - Technical Art and Steampunk Contraptions

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Well, I now have a Filco Majestouch 2 with the brown (not clicky) Cherry MX switches in. I type faster, primarily because I make less mistakes when using it. It is still pretty loud compared to the crappy MS one I was using before, especially when you get going as the keys bottom out pretty easily.

£120 well spent I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Cherry were good as well.
    Yes, some years ago Cherry certainly had the name for tip-top quality light-touch mechanical key business keyboards, instead of the clackety rubbish one typically finds today.

I think they're still around too, but it'll take me too long to check (see my post about being capped - I'm currently running at modem speed )
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 29 August 2010, 14:24.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    The best keyboards I've used were Digital (later Compaq) LK series keyboards. Rumour had it that you could put them through the dishwasher, though I never tried.

Cherry were good as well.

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    I've got three das keyboards, one in each of the places i find myself working.

Bloody amazing keyboard, and having used it, everything else seems sub par.

I'd honestly consider giving one a go.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    The Model M is, as I suspected, only available in beige. And quite expensive on eBay.

I did find these guys, apparently they bought the rights from IBM. Not sure about the grey keys though.

IBM keyboards, clicky keyboard, model m keyboards
    Last edited by doodab; 27 August 2010, 06:26.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    IBM Model M

Or the keyboards for the Apple Macintosh IIcs or Quadra were pretty good too.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    like the Spetrum 48K?
    There was a whole industry that grew up making "proper" keyboards for the spectrum. We had one of these

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Little rubber dome squishy wobbly keys? Mmm like the sound of those, I could happily spend my day fiddling with them.
    like the Spetrum 48K?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Little rubber dome squishy wobbly keys? Mmm like the sound of those, I could happily spend my day fiddling with them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X