• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Resizing fonts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Resizing fonts"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    That's a daft idea. When I resize a window it's because I want to be able to fit more text in it. It would be darned frustrating if the text just got bigger to compensate.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    This can't be done in CSS. RH's JavaScript from Cameron Adams' site will work in a web browser, but not in an email client (or at least, not an email client any sane person would use).

You may also be interested in RFC 1855 ("Netiquette Guidelines") section 2.1.1, which states:
    If you include a signature keep it short. Rule of thumb is no longer than 4 lines.

For a long time now, my .sig on Slashdot has said:
    Using HTML for email is like putting sound effects on your phone calls. Just say <em>no</em>.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Plus there's the problem of testing. Testing a web page with the major browsers is achievable, but there are many more e-mail clients out there.
    Didn't MS cause lots of problems by changing Outlook from using the IE web control to using the MS Word HTML engine? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    WHS+

Plus there's the problem of testing. Testing a web page with the major browsers is achievable, but there are many more e-mail clients out there.
    Oh, that's a good point. I'd be wary of including anything other than vanilla HTML in email sigs, maybe a little basic CSS but not more than that.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    best spend your time on the phone. most folk with any sense (mind you, clients...!!!!!) have html email disabled so your lovingly crafted sig will render in plain text.
    WHS+

Last edited by Sysman; 7 August 2009, 11:21.

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    you've been a great help.
    sorry, bitter experience. just trying to be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    HTML email is the way forward. I hate getting text-only emails... it's 2009 for crying out loud, we're not working on some Compuserve BBS.

Anyway... it sounds like a bad idea. I like HTML emails, but if the email starts 'animating' as I resize my email window I'm going to be put off. Don't you want your sig to be sized appropriately compared to the font used in your email?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    NF - any ideas?
    I bet he says "Email should be in plain text." and probably with a smiley!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    With scripting... it would work like this (Snippet adapted from here):
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    function scale()
    {
    var sizer = "12em";
    var smallest = "9px";
    var ww = document.body.clientWidth;
    var aim = ww / (parseInt(sizer));
    if (aim >= parseInt(smallest))
    {document.body.style.fontSize = aim + "px";}
    else
    {document.body.style.fontSize = parseInt(smallest) + "px";}
    }

-->
    </script>
    </head>
    <body onload="scale();" onresize="scale();">
    <div style="text-align: justify; width: 50%">
    Some text here Some text here Some text here 
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    Last edited by realityhack; 7 August 2009, 09:40.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I'd also love to see a solution to this as I don't believe it's workable (to my knowledge) in CSS3. Basically, the scaling (%) is applied differently to fonts than to the box model. The box model will scale to the browser real estate, fonts will scale to the default font value.

One (clumsy) way around this would be to create a vector image of the text, SVG perhaps, and apply width & height scaling to that. Bit of a hack, but without scripting... not sure it's straightforward at all.

NF - any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    If you do it in Flash, everything will resize perfectly.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I want the text in the child divs to get smaller if the page is resized.
    It seems that you want the actual font size of the child div to change as you resize the page. Unless I've misunderstood what you're asking for, I don't think this would be possible without some kind of client-side scripting. Which probably wouldn't be enabled in the vast majority of HTML email clients.

I'm willing to be proven wrong though - have you ever seen this technique elsewhere without the use of client-side script? If so, pass me a URL and I'll spend a couple of minutes pulling it apart and giving you some pointers.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    best spend your time on the phone. most folk with any sense (mind you, clients...!!!!!) have html email disabled so your lovingly crafted sig will render in plain text.
    you've been a great help.

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    started a topic Resizing fonts

Resizing fonts

FFS

Total brain blockage

I want a div, to be a percentage of page width. I want the text in the child divs to get smaller if the page is resized.

<div style="width:50%; font-size:50%;background-color:#ff0000; color:#ffffff;">
    <div>Some rubbish</div>
    </div>

As the page is resized, the div gets smaller, the text does not.

Help me along my merry way, I'm supposed to me on the phones this morning, not messing about with my email sig.

Working...
X