• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to check if a port is open"

Collapse

• wurzel
    replied
    Yes thanks a lot. The problem was , as somebody alluded to earlier, that there was nothing running on said ports. That's becuase when you install VMWare Converter Standalone, the remote access component isn't installed. What you have to do is run the set up program again and select modify / repair and select remote access. Seems totally bizarre that there is no option to do this on the initial install.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Sorry, should have seen DogTown was being a prat earlier, no need for that. Have banned. Can't see any connection to shewhomustnotbenamed but you never know... Thanks to you all for helping the OP out.

Leave a comment:

• digerido
    replied
    If you have a firewall between the converter\virtual center and physical machines you will also need 902 opened on the firewall.

If there isn't a firewall in place and even though 139 and 445 are opened as default on the physical OS it maybe worth trying disabling the windows firewall.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Can you telnet to 445 and 139 on the original VM? From memory I think that 139 is not listening by default
    139 is a NETBIOS port.
    445 is a Microsoft-DS port (MS Directory Services).

Here's the IANA list of standard Port Numbers.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Can you telnet to 445 and 139 on the original VM? From memory I think that 139 is not listening by default

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Niether has this doggy, they clearly don't have a clue what they are talking about.....

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Well, you have been banned for quite a while, haven't you Lucy?
    Lucy hasn't got the brains to comment on telnet and open ports

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DogTown View Post
    Which proves nothing, the OP had opened the PORTS... but to what? There is no way that being unable to Telnet to a port is proof that is closed!
    Code:
    NickFitz:~ NickFitz$ telnet forums.contractoruk.com 80
    Trying 89.16.161.127...
    Connected to forums.contractoruk.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET /technical/45397-how-check-if-port-open-2.html HTTP/1.1
    Host: forums.contractoruk.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 02:47:57 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) mod_python/3.2.8 Python/2.4.4c1 PHP/5.1.6 mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.8
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.1.6
    Set-Cookie: bbsessionhash=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; path=/; HttpOnly
    Set-Cookie: bblastvisit=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; expires=Sun, 08-Aug-2010 02:48:17 GMT; path=/
    Set-Cookie: bblastactivity=0; expires=Sun, 08-Aug-2010 02:48:17 GMT; path=/
    Expires: 0
    Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

{snip a load of gubbins}
                    <!-- message -->
                    <div id="post_message_913169">Which proves nothing, the OP had opened the PORTS... but to what? There is no way that being unable to Telnet to a port is proof that is closed!</div>
                    <!-- / message -->
    {snip a load more gubbins}
    Port 80 on forums.contractoruk.com is open, I used a Telnet client to establish a connection, send the appropriate HTTP request, and get the page as a response. If I had been unable to use a Telnet client to do that, I would regard it as a reasonable assumption that port 80 was not open.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Sorry, I have no idea who that is!
    Well, you have been banned for quite a while, haven't you Lucy?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Sorry all, a little experiment of mine. I am no sock puppet, just some who registered quite some time ago. I'm sure Ferret and the admins can confirm this. I thought it would be interesting to apply insults, phrase's learnt, term's learnt in one night to see how the community reacted.

Its funny but my comments tonight to NickFitz are how I see you all talking to each other yet its only a problem when it comes from an outsider!

Maybe you should all lighten up eh, else continue to be twunts!!
    I think the problem might be that you are labouring the point.

Twunt.

Leave a comment:

• DogTown
    replied
    Sorry all, a little experiment of mine. I am no sock puppet, just some who registered quite some time ago. I'm sure Ferret and the admins can confirm this. I thought it would be interesting to apply insults, phrase's learnt, term's learnt in one night to see how the community reacted.

Its funny but my comments tonight to NickFitz are how I see you all talking to each other yet its only a problem when it comes from an outsider!

Maybe you should all lighten up eh, else continue to be twunts!!

Leave a comment:

• DogTown
    replied
    Sorry, I have no idea who that is!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    The enjoyment is almost overwhelming?! So your guess to whom I am, is?
    Cybertwunt, perchance?

Leave a comment:

• DogTown
    replied
    The enjoyment is almost overwhelming?! So your guess to whom I am, is?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    New? No no dear friend, far from new
    Indeed, most familiar. One of three. Probably just the one.

Welcome back.

Don't enjoy your stay.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X