• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Internet connection"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Why should it? What's wrong with aluminium wiring?
    It oxidises and results in poor connections. It is then affected by damp conditions which can make the connection even worse. In effect, you get a higher resistance at connections or intermittently lost connections.

When copper prices went through the roof a few decades ago, rather than invest in the likes of Anglesey's copper mountain, the GPO bought in aluminium wire from overseas. It was a poor decision but the cost of replacing it would be phenomenal so they, and BT, never did.

(Now cue Zeity who will correct all the above, no doubt!)

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Aluminium is fine for Voice calls but it doesnt give the signal quality you need for data that you get from copper.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by dinker View Post
    Should be copper.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Yeah. Open up main phone socket and plug BT router directly into test socket (via filter). Run BT test. Get 500k.

Our exchange was one of the first to get wired for 21 century network (partner's company did it). Different century up here on top of the hill.
    21CN has no effect on the local loop, the bit that connects you to the exchange, it's an exchange to exchange comms upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    No, south of there (actually MK is in Bucks, I'm in Beds).

What's wrong with aluminium wiring?
    Should be copper.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    MK? That's a well known broadband not-spot, mainly because they put cheap aluminium wires in the ground when they built the place.

Or maybe it's something to do with all the roundabouts making the bits dizzy.
    No, south of there (actually MK is in Bucks, I'm in Beds).

What's wrong with aluminium wiring?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Try Virgin Cable.

Ok, I'm not in Bedfordshire, I live in London. But when I had BT, I only got a 1Mb connection even though I'm only a mile from the exchange.

Switched to Virgin and the speed tests show 10Mb every time, plus I have the option to upgrade to 50Mb.
    Alas:

There is no cable in our area.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    My exchange (Uxbridge) was recently upgraded to ADSL2 and my connection speed dropped to 2MB. I`ve moved to O2 LLU.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Try Virgin Cable.

Ok, I'm not in Bedfordshire, I live in London. But when I had BT, I only got a 1Mb connection even though I'm only a mile from the exchange.

Switched to Virgin and the speed tests show 10Mb every time, plus I have the option to upgrade to 50Mb.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    As far as I know...not in the UK. Try France.
    But then it will only work for 35 hours of the week then flatly refuse to work again until Monday.

I have a crap noisy connection that constantly drops (works better when it rains ), I've tested at the master socket and it's just the same so not my wiring. I've given up on BT as they just don't give a tulip, my best and only option is to move house.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Our exchange was one of the first to get wired for 21 century network (partner's company did it). Different century up here on top of the hill.
    MK? That's a well known broadband not-spot, mainly because they put cheap aluminium wires in the ground when they built the place.

Or maybe it's something to do with all the roundabouts making the bits dizzy.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    8Mb from BT. But then I am in the centre of the civilised world

Are you sure your wiring is OK?
    Yeah. Open up main phone socket and plug BT router directly into test socket (via filter). Run BT test. Get 500k.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    8Mb from BT. But then I am in the centre of the civilised world

Are you sure your wiring is OK?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I live in Bedfordshire, in a town, not in the sticks somewhere. Is there any way I can get some 21st century sort of internet connection, say at a brisk 1M or even a dizzying 2M? FFS
    Move?

8Mb here, and I'm promised a free upgrade to 20Mb soon. And yes I am in the UK, and no it's not cable or anything daft. Good old BT phone line.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Is it true that Germanian domestic power sockets have RCD breakers built in? I am assured that if you wire up a plug with a lead and bare the wires at the other end, shove the live in your mouth and the neutral up your bum, you will come to no harm.

Do be sure to test that for us tonight, won't you?
    Will report to you tomorrow that the missus felt during this test.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X