• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet connection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    8Mb from BT. But then I am in the centre of the civilised world

Are you sure your wiring is OK?
    Yeah. Open up main phone socket and plug BT router directly into test socket (via filter). Run BT test. Get 500k.

Our exchange was one of the first to get wired for 21 century network (partner's company did it). Different century up here on top of the hill.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Our exchange was one of the first to get wired for 21 century network (partner's company did it). Different century up here on top of the hill.
      MK? That's a well known broadband not-spot, mainly because they put cheap aluminium wires in the ground when they built the place.

Or maybe it's something to do with all the roundabouts making the bits dizzy.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        As far as I know...not in the UK. Try France.
        But then it will only work for 35 hours of the week then flatly refuse to work again until Monday.

I have a crap noisy connection that constantly drops (works better when it rains ), I've tested at the master socket and it's just the same so not my wiring. I've given up on BT as they just don't give a tulip, my best and only option is to move house.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Try Virgin Cable.

Ok, I'm not in Bedfordshire, I live in London. But when I had BT, I only got a 1Mb connection even though I'm only a mile from the exchange.

Switched to Virgin and the speed tests show 10Mb every time, plus I have the option to upgrade to 50Mb.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

My exchange (Uxbridge) was recently upgraded to ADSL2 and my connection speed dropped to 2MB. I`ve moved to O2 LLU.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              Try Virgin Cable.

Ok, I'm not in Bedfordshire, I live in London. But when I had BT, I only got a 1Mb connection even though I'm only a mile from the exchange.

Switched to Virgin and the speed tests show 10Mb every time, plus I have the option to upgrade to 50Mb.
              Alas:

There is no cable in our area.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                MK? That's a well known broadband not-spot, mainly because they put cheap aluminium wires in the ground when they built the place.

Or maybe it's something to do with all the roundabouts making the bits dizzy.
                No, south of there (actually MK is in Bucks, I'm in Beds).

What's wrong with aluminium wiring?

Comment

No, south of there (actually MK is in Bucks, I'm in Beds).

What's wrong with aluminium wiring?
                  Should be copper.

Comment

Yeah. Open up main phone socket and plug BT router directly into test socket (via filter). Run BT test. Get 500k.

21CN has no effect on the local loop, the bit that connects you to the exchange, it's an exchange to exchange comms upgrade.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                      Should be copper.
                      Why should it? What's wrong with aluminium wiring?

Comment

Working...
                      X