• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best antivirus for Vista?"

Collapse

• dx4100
    replied
    I am a big fan of Nod32 by ESET.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Note the PCG reference.
    Looks like the site was set up by a PCG member, I can never remember which (paulm / v8gaz ?)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Where can I buy a Chocolate Tea Pot from? I'm desparate to buy one.
    This is actually worthy of its own thread but I can't be bothered: http://www.chocopot.com/

Note the PCG reference.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    AVG version 8.0 was rubbish, fair enough, but 8.5 is much much better. I rate it very highly.

And as it includes anti-Spyware and anti-rootkit, I don't recognise it as being in the category of having to download other products to give complete protection.

Maybe you should check out the latest version?
    I'll have another looky then - thanks

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    and had been using AVG for yonks, however after their bloatfest with the new version a few months back
    AVG version 8.0 was rubbish, fair enough, but 8.5 is much much better. I rate it very highly.

And as it includes anti-Spyware and anti-rootkit, I don't recognise it as being in the category of having to download other products to give complete protection.

Maybe you should check out the latest version?

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    +1 for Avast.

I run a Win2k box and had been using AVG for yonks, however after their bloatfest with the new version a few months back I trashed it and went with Avast. Works well, small footprint and quick to start up.

Have also trashed Kapersky on the gf's laptop (XP) and replaced that with Avast too.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
    WHS, Avast
    hmm, I find avast is a pain in the derrier at startup. Once it's updated itself it's fine though, so maybe a +0.5 for that one...

Leave a comment:

• MikeC1408
    replied
    Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
    Avast! personal is free and I've got that on my Vista laptop. Only been using it for about 3 months mind. At work we've got the business version.
    WHS, Avast

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Try the ******* useless store!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    You could make your own.

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    Avast! personal is free and I've got that on my Vista laptop. Only been using it for about 3 months mind. At work we've got the business version.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Thanks for your insightful comment. About as much use as a ******* chocolate tea pot.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Not tried it, but Sunbelt Vipre is said to be very good in terms of not being a resource hog.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    OK, looked at Sophos and F-Secure. Sophos is obviously a business oriented AV and costs over £130.

So, binned off kaspersky and immediately installed a 30 day trial of F-Secure Internet Security and, what interesting results!

F-Secure has found 1 virus and 16 instances of spyware on my laptop while kaspersky 2010 with upto date downloads found zilch only minutes before when I did a final scan on the same laptop!

Deffo confirms my opinion of kaspersky even in its latest guise as a load of crap. I can only say I'd advise anyone with kaspersky to bin it off as clearly it doesnt find all the virus' out there!

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. I'll investigate Sophos and F-Secure. I want an AV that doesnt slow down the PC's too much plus this time I'll look to use the trial version first after the nightmare with kaspersky!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X