• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Inspiron 1525

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Inspiron 1525"

Collapse

• weemster
    replied
    Cheers All !

Went with Crucial in the end and all is well - even Vista is quick with
    the 4GB I put in.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Based on comments I have seen many, many times on many technical fora over the years, I am convinced Crucial memory is the cheapest. Certainly not the lowest price, but it is reliable.
    Absolutely agree. Faulty RAM is a real pain. Best to buy Crucial in the first place and avoid potential problems.

P.S. Anecdote: friend of mine bought some cheapo memory. Problems with PC crashing intermittently, etc. He ran a memory test program, it reports memory as faulty. He phones supplier for a Return Authorization. Sends memory back to supplier. They test it. No fault found. They send him the faulty memory back. Repeat 2x. Give up.
    Last edited by Platypus; 21 July 2009, 12:31.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Crucial or Kingston always

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Do you really want the cheapest RAM you can get?
    Based on comments I have seen many, many times on many technical fora over the years, I am convinced Crucial memory is the cheapest. Certainly not the lowest price, but it is reliable.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by dinker View Post
    I`ve found the cheapest supplier of RAM is Offtek.
    Do you really want the cheapest RAM you can get?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinS View Post
    It's very possible the CPU is overheating and shutting itself down to prevent damage.. Get a can of compressed air, open the CPU cover and give it a good blast to clear the dust.
    Get a can of compressed air, take the PC outdoors, open the CPU cover and give it a good blast to clear the dust.

Some mistakes you only make once. <cough> <cough>

Leave a comment:

• KevinS
    replied
    Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
    I've got a 1525 (at least I think that's what it is) and whilst it's sufficient performance wise, it keeps randomly switching off with no warning. It must be something to do with it overheating as it happens when the fan is particularly noisy. It's annoying. It literally switches off and everything I've been doing is lost.
    It's very possible the CPU is overheating and shutting itself down to prevent damage.. Get a can of compressed air, open the CPU cover and give it a good blast to clear the dust.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    I`ve found the cheapest supplier of RAM is Offtek.

Leave a comment:

• weemster
    replied
    Cheers all, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I can certainly recommend Crucial for a laptop memory upgrade. They are quick and free to post off when ordered from their own website.

Leave a comment:

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    I've got a 1525 (at least I think that's what it is) and whilst it's sufficient performance wise, it keeps randomly switching off with no warning. It must be something to do with it overheating as it happens when the fan is particularly noisy. It's annoying. It literally switches off and everything I've been doing is lost.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I bought the upgrade from Dell to go from 2GB->4GB on my Latitude D531 Vista laptop. I think it was about £25, and IIRC 1GB was only £3 or £4 less so didn't seem worth arsing about with.

The hardest thing about fitting it was finding a small enough phillips screwdriver to undo the screw.

Leave a comment:

• weemster
    replied
    Thanks KevinS

Leave a comment:

• KevinS
    replied
    Originally posted by weemster View Post
    Hi,

Got the missus a Dell Inspiron 1525 about a year ago (with Vista ) and
    1GB.

The machine has always been slow (I know I was tight and shouldn't have gone for more memory to start with) and I have decided enough is enough and I should get some more memory, Not a lot of point going for the the 2gb memory modules from what I have read so I suppose the only option is the the 1gb.

Anyone had the same experience and if so could they provide a (sensible......leaving myself open now) link to what they bought in the end ?

Many thanks in advance
    I have in the past used Crucial to do my Dell laptop memory upgrades..

Here's a list of the Inspiron 1525 parts that will work for that machine..

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I bought a mac.

Scooterscot

Leave a comment:

Working...
X