• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hi Fi repair... anyone?"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    a bit of Hawkwind.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Those spiders are a real pain...
    Would that be the spiders from Mars?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I disconnected the lower frequency turned it on a set the volume to near max, I heard the fan kick in and go into overdrive.

Seems alright now? Must have blown a few cobwebs out??

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Agree with 1st commenter, a capacitor, specifically a large electrolytic. They age.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Id put my money on defective electrolytics or cracked potentiometer.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Most likeley thing to fail is anything that moves, volume control, switches, speakers etc. see if the fault changes when you operate them.

Caps could be the issue but moving parts fail most often.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Is it worth fixing CD players? My Pioneer one that I bought with the amp has started skipping and refusing to play lots of CDs. I've been playing CDs in my DVD player as a backup.

I figure I could probably get a Tesco Value replacement for £5 in this day and age.
    I remembered my ex Bro-in-law used to mend his (he had loads as he ran a string on mobile discos - he told me that the little lens thingy often sticks - so I did a quick Google and voila!

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq4.html#CDFAQ_020

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I have a Technics amp that’s about 15 years old but in good condition apart from one fault, the volume momentarily drops and sounds a little muffled every 30-60 seconds then returns to normal?

Any experts have an idea what’s going on? It would be a shame to chuck it out if it's just a simple fix.
    Probably the electrolytics have shot, normally noticable residue can be seen on the board - I bought an old NAD 3020 about 5 years ago and replaced the electrolytics, putting life back into it - and gorgeous it is too.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nad3020e.html
    Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 23 June 2009, 20:53.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    OK. Good luck. They close at 5pm but are open on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Cheers, I'll make detour one day on the way home if I can't see anything obvious.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    Take it to Triangle TV in Redland. There experts at component level faults and I know the guy who runs it. Their address is: 124 Coldharbour Road, Redland, Bristol BS6 7SL

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Better than that I'll disconnect the upper range and see what it sounds like.

Gone are the days when a student with a multimeter would fix it for a fiver.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    It's much greener to repair and more satisfying too.
    My system has a Bi-amp so the speakers don't have crossovers, the other components all connect via a unique Technics ribbon cable so it would mean 6 boxes in the landfill if I can't fix it.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    It's much greener to repair and more satisfying too.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    My old Pioneer amp was doing similar things out of one speaker, but there's A & B speaker outputs on it and switching the pair from A to B and now both work again. I originally thought it was the speakers (which are even older).

Is it worth fixing CD players? My Pioneer one that I bought with the amp has started skipping and refusing to play lots of CDs. I've been playing CDs in my DVD player as a backup.

I figure I could probably get a Tesco Value replacement for £5 in this day and age.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X