• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to format an email ?"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, using HTML in email is like adding sound effects to your phone calls.
    I like that.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I want to include an itemised list of goods ordered in a confirmation email sent to customers from an RBSWorldpay payment page, ie one or more lines of goods, number, price each, total.
    Is there any reason why you're using tabs rather than spaces?

Last time I did something similar to what you're trying to accomplish here, I just padded the content of each cell in the table with spaces until the size reached the width in characters of the containing column. If you want something to be left-aligned within a column, you add spaces to the right, and for right-alignment you add spaces to the left.

Below shows how this would look in a plain text email client:

Code:
    Item                           Quantity      Total
    --------------------------------------------------
    Blue Widget                          21      10.40
    Green Widget                          4       6.20
    Flourescent Widget                    3       1.20
    Apologies if I've completed missed the point.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Looking at a few emails in notepad it seems that every email automatically contains both a text version and an HTML version. So using HTML tags would end up with tags inside tags in some clients. Bum.
    Only emails created by mail clients which create HTML mail. The plain text version is necessary for people like me, who disable all HTML in email (both reading and writing).

As far as I'm concerned, using HTML in email is like adding sound effects to your phone calls.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Looking at the last 30 mails in my inbox, i's say 85% of them are HTML formatted so if i somehow managed to set my mail client to ignore HTML it wouldn't just be the OP's email that looked ropey, you'd get used to viewing badly formatted messages.

Reckon 99% of recipients would view it fine but as someone mentioned earlier, a PDF attachment and plain text mail is the best option, just more hassle to implement.
    Last edited by Durbs; 9 June 2009, 11:52.

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Not really, the vast majority of mail clients will display an HTML mail fine as long as you dumb down the HTML to its simplest form (no CSS or inline styles). Cant think of a mail client that a normal user would use that wouldn't support it?
    It's easy enough for a user to configure their email client to read all email as plain text even if it was sent/received as html. It will still be readable but doing that will do a good job of stripping any intended html formatting from the original email, however basic that html was.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Any way of doing it without passing HTML to the mailer? I understand that has its own problems for viewing in all email clients.
    Not really, the vast majority of mail clients will display an HTML mail fine as long as you dumb down the HTML to its simplest form (no CSS or inline styles). Cant think of a mail client that a normal user would use that wouldn't support it?

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    Or just send him a link a serve him a webpage.
    If you go via link or the attachment route, PDF is probably most reliable option to ensure consistent display.
    Last edited by xchaotic; 9 June 2009, 10:27. Reason: pdf

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Attachment?

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    a recent entry from the blog

http://litmusapp.com/blog/email-testing-desktop-app

TM

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    A friend of mine runs the following site, http://litmusapp.com/

Very popular, should allow you to correctly test what your email will look like in pretty much every concievable email client.

TM

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Oh bum

Looking at a few emails in notepad it seems that every email automatically contains both a text version and an HTML version. So using HTML tags would end up with tags inside tags in some clients. Bum.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    started a topic How to format an email ?

How to format an email ?

I want to include an itemised list of goods ordered in a confirmation email sent to customers from an RBSWorldpay payment page, ie one or more lines of goods, number, price each, total.

Can't figure how to get it so the columns are in line and it looks neat. Tried using '\t' in the form field sent to mailer but it doesn't work.

Can one format an email message ? If you type a message in Windows Mail, even using a fixed width font, tabs don't give a consistent spacing.

Any way of doing it without passing HTML to the mailer? I understand that has its own problems for viewing in all email clients.

Cheers.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 8 June 2009, 19:50.

Working...
X