• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying Microsoft Office"

Collapse

• blacjac
    replied
    A couple of my customers (small businesses) run their entire IT just with an action pack sub.

Very good value.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by spoons View Post
    I have always though the action pack was pretty much a no brainer.

Plus you get other bits and pieces to play with, if your that way inclined
    + 1. Cannot stress how much of a good deal the Action Pack is, plus you get multiple licenses of the full-fat version of Office.

Leave a comment:

• spoons
    replied
    I have always though the action pack was pretty much a no brainer.

Plus you get other bits and pieces to play with, if your that way inclined

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Either, have a child or a wife who is a teacher. The latter works for me...
    Thought the OP was looking for a legit way to get a copy he could legally use for business?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Either, have a child or a wife who is a teacher. The latter works for me...

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Check out the T&C:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/dis...-uk/terms.aspx

There is no restriction on what you can do with this copy of Office Ultimate 2007 and it is a perpetual license, the only condition is that you must be a student currently studying a course and have a valid .ac e-mail address.

OU students are legible and can perform any business work on it as well if they want to. It is a full copy of office ultimate, not a cut down student and teacher version of office.

Just start up a cheapish OU basic web dev course or something and get your order in (OU also do things like CCNA now I belive, got to be something that would be useful to you)
    Seems like a very good deal, however I think this would be the sticking point:
    you must be enrolled in an education institution geographically located in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man. If a Higher Education student, you must be enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate level course. If a Further Education student, you must have at least 15 hours of scheduled contact time per week for your course.
    The OU undergrad modules are quite expensive (last time I looked, they were more expensive than a years action pack subscription). Plus, once you stop being a student you have to stop using it.......

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Start an OU course and then go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/dis...k/default.aspx

Completely legal and only £38.95 for Office Ultimate 2007.
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    My personal opinion is, if you are going to break the terms of the licence (i.e. by a home / student / NHS edition and use it commercially), then why bother paying anything for it.

What is the point in paying for a licence that does not apply to your circumstances?
    Downloading a pirate copy is just as illegal.

Either pay for the licence you want, or don't pay for any licence.

(I paid for mine )
    Check out the T&C:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/dis...-uk/terms.aspx

There is no restriction on what you can do with this copy of Office Ultimate 2007 and it is a perpetual license, the only condition is that you must be a student currently studying a course and have a valid .ac e-mail address.

OU students are legible and can perform any business work on it as well if they want to. It is a full copy of office ultimate, not a cut down student and teacher version of office.

Just start up a cheapish OU basic web dev course or something and get your order in (OU also do things like CCNA now I belive, got to be something that would be useful to you)

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    My personal opinion is, if you are going to break the terms of the licence (i.e. by a home / student / NHS edition and use it commercially), then why bother paying anything for it.

What is the point in paying for a licence that does not apply to your circumstances?

(I paid for mine )
    I must agree ... I am also fully licensed

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied

(I paid for mine )

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    My neighbour is a dental nurse, she got me a copy via the NHS deal.

Leave a comment:

• vinny41
    replied
    £49.99 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/promotion...A1AYVG6V8CYA9I

Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households. The retail license terms permit installation and use of Office Home and Student 2007 on three devices.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Do you know any games developers at rare ?

I got office ultimate 3 licenses for £16 from a lad who works there.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Start an OU course and then go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/dis...k/default.aspx

Completely legal and only £38.95 for Office Ultimate 2007.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by spoons View Post
    Isn`t there a Home/Student version that allows up to five installs??
    Almost, 3 user licence not 5, but for 64 quid you can't complain!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Of...4138775&sr=1-1

OP did mention this edition but the legality of it would still be dubious. I.e. you could use it to write letters to your Aunty Mable, but would be on very dodgy ground writing a letter to a customer...

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    ebay - OEM license for ~£100 - I got a couple of Office 2003 licenses that way

student/educational software is not for business use.

I'd avoid Office 2007, otherwise I'd suggest signing up to the Microsoft Action Pack for £199 a year you get all Microsoft's latest software for internal business use.

or is it included in the TechNet subscription ?
    if so then take a look at this thread:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...scription.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X