• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Windows CE dev in VS - decent books?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You're applauding me being right? Ta.

Flash's ActionScript is essentially JavaScript of course.
    I am applauding to the chimp making a relevant comment about cookies that I had no idea about (cookies not set with file:// protocol) - your suggestion relies on Flash which I think is not that widespread on mobiles

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You're applauding me being right? Ta.

Flash's ActionScript is essentially JavaScript of course.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Unless one installs a web server on the phone, the browser would be accessing the content using the file: protocol, and IE - at least on the desktop - doesn't support cookies for that protocol.

IE Mobile was formerly a different codebase to IE desktop, so it may not have had that problem; but it seems that the new version of IE Mobile is being based on the desktop IE 6 code, so it will probably have the same limitations

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Could you do a HTML/JS only app with just the client side?
    Possible - just use cookies to store some variables locally?
    Unless one installs a web server on the phone, the browser would be accessing the content using the file: protocol, and IE - at least on the desktop - doesn't support cookies for that protocol.

IE Mobile was formerly a different codebase to IE desktop, so it may not have had that problem; but it seems that the new version of IE Mobile is being based on the desktop IE 6 code, so it will probably have the same limitations

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Your comments are often very sensible although of course I would never say so.
    Quick delete the above message before anyone sees it!

Too late!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Quick delete the above message before anyone sees it!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Your comments are often very sensible although of course I would never say so.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Ta for extra comments. This HTML/js sounds good as am already pretty well up on wierd uses of jscript.

You accept my suggested solution then? You'll be first on cUK...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Ta for extra comments. This HTML/js sounds good as am already pretty well up on wierd uses of jscript.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Could you do a HTML/JS only app with just the client side?
    Possible - just use cookies to store some variables locally?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Target HTML/JavaScript - mobile internet becomes popular now in the West, so browsers are available on many mobiles now - load up files locally on the phone and no need for Internet connection either.
    Could you do a HTML/JS only app with just the client side? To do any kind of useful application I'd have thought you'd need a webserver to manage the state, which may not be available.

Flash Lite support:

http://www.adobe.com/mobile/supported_devices/

Which incidentally includes all Windows Mobile devices.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Target HTML/JavaScript - mobile internet becomes popular now in the West, so browsers are available on many mobiles now - load up files locally on the phone and no need for Internet connection either.

Not sure how well Flash is supported in those - probably not anywhere near as well as HTML/JavaScript.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Flash is another option; a lot of phones now have Flash players (Jesus phone aside), and has the advantage of looking the same anywhere (i.e. the same but bigger on a PC).

I didn't think Windows Mobile had taken off in any serious way either, so it would be a mistake to target a single platform when something like Flash (or Java if you really have to) can be platform independent.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'll resist the temptation to make jokes about targeting kids in the park

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    ...but I believe that no Windows CE device runs Java out of the box - MS removed it completely from their platforms for legal reasons (as in, they're not legally permitted to ship Java on anything).
    I believe i-mate devices ship (or at least used to) with a JVM. Microsoft only provide the core OS to the device makers, who then add their own "stuff" via the Platform Builder.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X