• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What anti-virus should I get?"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by pisces View Post
    Avira.

AVG was great until version 8 now they overblown it in the name of "progress"
    I was a diehard AVG fan until version 8 managed to think there was a spyware in some files that were at least 10 years old - it promptly tried to put them in its 'Vault' but because of a bug which I still do not think they have fixed almost 6 months later the files were not on the C drive so the vault managed to lose them and now I have lost them altogether (OK they are on a floppy disk somewhere but I no longer have a floppy drive and the files were not that important to warrant buying one).

Anyway I bought a new laptop recently from the local pc repair shop as my previous laptop's BIOS got corrupted - the new laptop had avast on it and it seems pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    "What anti-virus should I get?"

Zovirax
    Try to contribute Bob D, instead of just paying it Lip service

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Eset NOD32 is the best I have ever implemented. Very small footprint about 5 daily incremental updates and never seen an issue with it

www.eset.com
    I'm with JoJo.

NOD32 is perfect for Webbooks (particularly those with SSDs).

I'm very happy with it..

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    "What anti-virus should I get?"

Zovirax

Leave a comment:

• ipguy
    replied
    Kaspersky 2009 works for me. Some time ago you could grab it as a Barclays special offer. This product has more than 12 years history and finally last year it came to the UK.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Eset NOD32 is the best I have ever implemented. Very small footprint about 5 daily incremental updates and never seen an issue with it

www.eset.com
    I use nod32 across all my servers and workstations - agreed, good software.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Avira.

AVG was great until version 8 now they overblown it in the name of "progress"

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied

www.eset.com

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Welcome to the clan breezeblocker!

100% record for helpful posts!

Leave a comment:

• breezeblocker
    replied
    http://free.avg.com/ww.download-avg-...s-free-edition and get http://www.ccleaner.com/download at the same time. With cc cleaner make sure you don't allow some of the annoying extras to be installed. A little time spent and they both work well. While you are at it http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/ is a great defragger, it will run in the background when the computer is idle, you can set it to defrag all your drives and switch off when finished. I think the screensaver option is the one to acivate for when the pc is idle. Great if you have a large drive and do a lot of work. Have fun

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    AVG just doesn't work for me - I'm on Windows Vista, everytime I boot up I get an error saying that the AVG service failed to start. Have tried reinstalling but to no avail.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/624455-post35.html

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Besides, Mac's are Foolproof

It's what makes them so popular with the lowbrows

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Jeezus! Every opportunity!

Do you get tuppence from Jobs everytime you do this?

Where's CowboyBob with the 'ME TOO!'

(Posted from a Mac)

All of us using Macs know it makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is to suggest them in a Technical thread where somebody is seeking assistance about a Windows-specific - or indeed a Linux- or BSD-specific - issue.

<sanctimonious>
    So let's all back off now. The Windows users already resent us because we have better systems. There's no need to stir things up by cluttering up their threads with unhelpful comments.
    </sanctimonious>

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Avast.

AVG is crap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X