• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: NAS Storage

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NAS Storage"

Collapse

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
    This is also why HP's system always beats the compo as it's only benched marked at xfering windows files back and forth using NTFS. Whereas the others have full o/s compatibility but WAY slower xfer rates using FAT32.

...snip...

You will find ALL NAS solutions on the market that can use Linux and Mac, as well as windows use the very slow FAT32.
    QNAP (and I'm sure some other) devices use an internal filesystem of EXT3 rather than FAT32 or NTFS, and this is accessed across the network via CIFS (mostly Windows clients) or NFS (mostly Unix/other clients). The slower performance of Windows clients when accessing a NAS compared to accessing a Windows Server is attributed to assumptions that CIFS makes on the server filesystem i.e. it isn't a good interface onto sparse filesystems like EXT3 but is better suited to NTFS.
    Last edited by voodooflux; 21 August 2008, 22:56.

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    Be careful with a NAS solution. The most important issues with a NAS system is speed of file transfers (as this will be your main operation that is performed time and time again with a NAS).

If you’re only serving windows machines, then go for the HP Windows Home Server. This is very fast on transferring files back and forth from other windows machines.

However if you need to transfer files between non-windows machines then you have a problem if you want to map drives and use the native file system of your NAS (which will be the fastest method).

You see Windows uses NTFS which MS have not released the source code or API's for (so, it’s secret). Thus Linux or Mac systems cannot map this file system properly (yes Linux does have a NTFS driver, but its beta/unfinished).

So, how do current NAS systems work? They use FAT32 which is a way older slower file system. And it will feel slow when transferring large files. But this way they can allow all machines to map to them.

This is also why HP's system always beats the compo as it's only benched marked at xfering windows files back and forth using NTFS. Whereas the others have full o/s compatibility but WAY slower xfer rates using FAT32.

So, what other solution can you have if you have multiple o/s?
    You could build your own NAS using a standard Linux file system format that Mac's can see and Windows can with an open source driver (Samba). This way your not limited to FAT32.

You will find ALL NAS solutions on the market that can use Linux and Mac, as well as windows use the very slow FAT32. So, the solution is either:

HP Windows Home Server.
    or
    Build you own Linux NAS.

That's if you want to use your NAS for file transfers :P

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    exactly!
    some people just refuse to think outside the box! sheesh
    Absolutely - for any technical problem there's always a solution that involves lots of cool kit

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    And any worries over power consumption could be fixed with a dedicated wind farm/solar array - sorted
    exactly!
    some people just refuse to think outside the box! sheesh

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    easily fixed using an air conditioned sound proofed server room
    And any worries over power consumption could be fixed with a dedicated wind farm/solar array - sorted

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by dmini View Post
    Well, I bought the QNAP TS409 Pro.
    I'm currently trying to weigh up the 209 Pro II against the 409 Pro and 509 Pro. The 509 seems to support Wake-On-Lan unlike the others, but not Jumbo Frames (which would be handy since the rest of my gigabit kit supports this).

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by fmz98 View Post
    Well NAS drive will use a lot less electricity than a WinTel server would, plus NAS drives are much quieter.
    easily fixed using an air conditioned sound proofed server room

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    Well, I bought the QNAP TS409 Pro. End result?
    It's very quiet. Made it a WINS server, which helped all the devices see it.
    It was very simple to connect to from all my machines - once I fixed my firewalls!
    Copy speed to it varies, but so does the spec of the connected machines, and its not a Gb network yet! Put 200+Gb of data onto it so far
    Overall very pleased

Leave a comment:

• fmz98
    replied
    This thread now has me seriously considering ditching my home WinTel server box in favour of something like a QNAP TS-209 Pro II. Couple of 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1 drives in there for storage, and I can also stream media to the PS3/360/SqueezeBox. Sorted
    Well NAS drive will use a lot less electricity than a WinTel server would, plus NAS drives are much quieter.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    This thread now has me seriously considering ditching my home WinTel server box in favour of something like a QNAP TS-209 Pro II. Couple of 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1 drives in there for storage, and I can also stream media to the PS3/360/SqueezeBox. Sorted

Leave a comment:

• fmz98
    replied
    Just to kind of butt in here, but the WD in Standard form from WD is pants, however once you have cracked it and made it work to your needs it works perfectly.

There is a lot you can do with them, I currently use mine as a Secure Webserver running PhP so I can access everything on it when at the office. I have all my DVD's backed up on to it to and can easily stream both DVD's and music around the house.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Not complaining - although it is worse than I thought

IIRC the supplied software blocks sharing some file types as well. Not a problem for me but a nuisance if you want to allow others to access music and video files remotely as I understand it.

linky
    I forgot about that... but there again, I have my ipod. If I want to listen to any music, I can use that or listen to the library on my computer. I know it isn't the same thing (with the DRM et al), but for me it wasn't really a consideration.

I might be tempted to buy a buffalo nas and rip the hard drive out of my WD NAS and put it into my comp at some point. I do need a larger hard drive inside my comp.
    Last edited by pmeswani; 11 August 2008, 19:40. Reason: added last para.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Didn't mean to steal the limelight guv. honest.

Since upgrading to Virgin Broadband over the weekend, my access speed to the NAS has increased significantly.
    Not complaining - although it is worse than I thought

IIRC the supplied software blocks sharing some file types as well. Not a problem for me but a nuisance if you want to allow others to access music and video files remotely as I understand it.

linky
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 11 August 2008, 18:40. Reason: Decided to google for more info and post a link

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    That seems very poor, and if that's the case then I can understand your opinion of the product.
    I agree. A NAS should be simple; WD have obviously missed the point.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    BTW it was me who originally warned against the WD unit - and there are more reasons than even I knew about to avoid it!

As well as the other stuff mentioned, mine is slow.
    Didn't mean to steal the limelight guv. honest.

Since upgrading to Virgin Broadband over the weekend, my access speed to the NAS has increased significantly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X