• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Help - I'm in IPtorrent with no idea!"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I downloaded Ubuntu a week or so ago from the official website, it didn't take long to download as I recall. Took me a few days before I could beat its Connect-four and Sudoku games, and now don't use Ubuntu anymore (no drivers to get Internet connected).

By ISO do you mean disk images, if so of what kind? If software, I always stayed clear of them for fear of trojens etc. Films could be handy, though last time I torrented I gave up because it was too slow.
    American TV shows, if that takes your fancy, are usually on there within a few days of the American airing date. I saw the second series of Heroes on download while the first series was still showing on BBC here.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Really??

It must be a fluke that I can get on the net with Ubuntu then...
    Depends on your hardware, some is software independent

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    and now don't use Ubuntu anymore (no drivers to get Internet connected)
    Really??

It must be a fluke that I can get on the net with Ubuntu then...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Debian/Ubuntu ISO's
    I downloaded Ubuntu a week or so ago from the official website, it didn't take long to download as I recall. Took me a few days before I could beat its Connect-four and Sudoku games, and now don't use Ubuntu anymore (no drivers to get Internet connected).

By ISO do you mean disk images, if so of what kind? If software, I always stayed clear of them for fear of trojens etc. Films could be handy, though last time I torrented I gave up because it was too slow.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by mbriody View Post
    I'd strongly suggest you get yourself some additional 'protection' e.g. PeerGuardian if you are planning on doing any serious torrenting.
    Seconded. It's a good idea to use something like PeerGuardian 2 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Debian/Ubuntu ISO's
    Wot he said....

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    I get most of my TV via utorrent these days. UKNova is a good source.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Are you downloading films?

What's worth torrenting for?
    Debian/Ubuntu ISO's

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Are you downloading films?

What's worth torrenting for?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinS View Post
    Torrent speeds depend on the number of people in the swarm and their upload speeds - open ports just allow people to connect to you, without your machine initiating the connection (but generally means faster torrenting)..

I am using a product called TorrentFlux - web interface on a headless Linux machine..
    Ta Kev, I'll try that too..

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by mbriody View Post
    I'd strongly suggest you get yourself some additional 'protection' e.g. PeerGuardian if you are planning on doing any serious torrenting.
    Thanks, I will (when I get it to work...)

Leave a comment:

• KevinS
    replied
    Torrent speeds depend on the number of people in the swarm and their upload speeds - open ports just allow people to connect to you, without your machine initiating the connection (but generally means faster torrenting)..

I am using a product called TorrentFlux - web interface on a headless Linux machine..

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I followed the instructions on that site for the Belkin router I use, and it still didnt work. I am just doing it without an open port, the torrents still seem to work, if a little more slowly than I would like, usually aorund th 5-6 kbs mark... but sometimes up to 200kbs.

I am guessing thats very slow by normal standards, but I can generally get the programs I want overnight.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• El_Diablo
    replied
    If it stopped working because of the settings you did then it should be possible to reset it to factory settings, I had to do it a few times myself...
    Yeh I've had to do that too, resetting to the original settings has usually sorted any problems.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X