• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Electric Motors

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Electric Motors"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Renfrew is a toon you big ideiot

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Well I was only two towns away. (boney Renfrew)
    Is Renfrew skeletal?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    Have I worked with everyone on this forum before?
    Well I was only two towns away. (boney Renfrew)

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied

yes, sure have. you guessed correctly although my guitar collection has been extended somewhat since then. it'd be good to have a catch up, maybe get a certain photographer along too whom i haven't spoken to for about 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    What compaq near the airport, inchinnan like? That's where I....

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I couldn't possibly answer that question.

...I have PM'd you.

Note to self - don't post anything useful. Stick to drivel.
    What compaq near the airport, inchinnan like? That's where I....

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied

...I have PM'd you.

sussed your true identity!

You have a very nice guitar (a Taylor IIRC) and live in the adjoining town to me.

Am I right?

Its a small world - drop me a line, would be good to catch up.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Surely all commutator 's will show signs of burning from arcing?
    Not really. A burnt out motor looks very burnt whereas a normal one looks pretty clean apart from a line around it where the brushes run.
    That said, if the brushes are well worn out then arcing is greater so it could look a bit more burnt. I would look at the insulation between the segments - if this is shot then it will probably be burnt out.

I guess this is something of a black art and not worth the OP spending a few months in a repair shop to learn.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    hey al_cam, ever work at compaq?

...I have PM'd you.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Especially if they touch the 3rd rail....
    Hmmmmm, crispy!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    If the commutator shows signs of burning I would forget the brushes and buy a new shower.
    Surely all commutator 's will show signs of burning from arcing?
    Last edited by Troll; 20 August 2007, 08:26.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    Need to do a root cause analysis.
    Obsolete pump. Pretty old eh?
    Maybe the original brushes have been worn down to the
    metal bit behind them at some stage.
    That really wrecks the commutators. which will then chew your new handiwork...........chuck out....
    RS (showing just how much drinking time I've wasted inside a washing machine)
    Wot I do is disasemble motor, stick the central thingie in a pillar drill, use abrasive paper on the bit the brushes touch (commuter?) while rotating in the drill ,then clean up the slots in the bit the brushes touch with a needle file.
    Fit new brushes

Worked on washing machine (2 years & going strong)

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Need to do a root cause analysis.
    Obsolete pump. Pretty old eh?
    Maybe the original brushes have been worn down to the
    metal bit behind them at some stage.
    That really wrecks the commutators. which will then chew your new handiwork...........chuck out....
    RS (showing just how much drinking time I've wasted inside a washing machine)

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    hey al_cam, ever work at compaq?

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Unless the shower is very old or used lots and lots and lots, it is most likely that the motor has burned out causing the brushes to wear out.

If the commutator shows signs of burning I would forget the brushes and buy a new shower.

I speak from experience - you would not believe how many people insist on buying brushes for their lawnmowers, drills etc even when you tell them it is most likely burnt out. You usually see them back later looking for a new motor.

Worth trying to find suitable brushes at a local power tool repair place - at the very least they will have something that can be filed down.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X