• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric Motors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Motors

I need to replace the brushes in a obsolete leccy motor - does anyone know where you can buy raw carbon block from so I can shape to suit? (Maplins is a no no)

Also there seems to be flavours of carbon - laminated etc - any issues in selecting or not ?

Ta
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Try an autoelectrician?

They change brushes in starter motors & alternators.

I refashioned some brushes from an electric drill to fit in a shaver once.

Comment

Ta - I figured you'd reply, was going to PM but thought it a bit presumptuous

Top tip for the auto electricians & thanks

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Wot sort of motor is it?

Big?

Little?

Mains?

battery?
        Mains

Smallish in a drill sized way (although it's actually for a power shower)
        brush size needs to be above 6mm x 3mm and then I can size to suit

Comment

Buy a new power shower you tight wad.

I wouldn't want to stand under an electric shower an IT contractor had repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post

I wouldn't want to stand under an electric shower an IT contractor had repaired.
            It's the price you pay for renting!!

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post

No problem with replacing - but why? immense personal satisfaction from building & fixing stuff... cars, electrics etc. perhaps it's a generational thing, but throw away seems to be the prevalant model now a days, which is wasteful in terms of resources and it goes against the grain to shell out £300 for the sake of a £3 part....

btb I also wish I could identify & fix components on PCB's .... can de solder and solder non surface mount stuff OK so must be a dummies guide somewhere

Comment

Can you not just buy replacement brushes?
                I (tightwad) do this for washing machines on a regular basis.
                costs a couple of quid.
                If not, buy some washing machine ones & file them down, they'll even come wired and with a spade connector.

RS
                Last edited by RSoles; 17 August 2007, 12:34. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                  Can you not just buy replacement brushes?
                  I (tightwad) do this for washing machines on a regular basis.
                  costs a couple of quid.
                  If not, buy some washing machine ones & file them down, they'll even come wired and with a spade connector.

RS
                  The pump is obselete so can't go to the manufacturer
                  Don't need a spade connector as they run free in a brass tube with a spring behind them, spade connector is at rear of the brass tube thingy.

I'm looking into filing down washing machine bushes if i can't get hold of raw blocks and have asked the ebay chappie who supplied the replacement washing machine bushes to let me know of any that are over sized so I can reduce to fit - although imho even the washing machine bushes are over priced

Comment

Don't get over enthusiastic when filing, the carbon is soft...

Comment

Working...
                    X