• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dell vs Toshiba

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dell vs Toshiba"

Collapse

• Spartacus
    replied
    I bought a Dell Precision M50 a couple of years back. Nice 17" screen and has never given a moment's trouble, not even after being sent flying across the room when I tripped over the power lead.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeGregan
    replied
    I bought a Dell Inspiron in 2001, slipped on ice and dropped it on concrete the first day I got it, which put a crack in the case, but it hasn't missed a beat and is now wifeys word processor.

Bought an Inspiron 9400 about a month ago and the hard disk died within two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Quite so. Why is a contractors' board discussing cheap gear?
    Indeed.

As it happens I have just purchased a Dell XPS notebook and it is most satisfactory. Lovely 17'' widescreen and 1920x1200 resolution means a lot of desktop real estate to play with. Runs a lot quieter and cooler than my mate's Alienware thingy too.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    I have a Thinkpad R51 (from 2004 when they were still made by IBM).

It's seen some heavy work, been dropped, and went flying down the centre aisle of a bus once when it had to brake heavily. The only thing wrong with it after that abuse is one dodgy pixel on the LCD. It's built like a tank, but still feels quite light. I wouldn't swap it for one of the cheaper brands for anything.
    Quite so. Why is a contractors' board discussing cheap gear?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    I have a Thinkpad R51 (from 2004 when they were still made by IBM).

It's seen some heavy work, been dropped, and went flying down the centre aisle of a bus once when it had to brake heavily. The only thing wrong with it after that abuse is one dodgy pixel on the LCD. It's built like a tank, but still feels quite light. I wouldn't swap it for one of the cheaper brands for anything.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    In the space of 3 years i managed to get through 2 Dell latitudes, thankfully neither were paid for by me One of them stopped booting everytime, the other one suffered from a broken keyboard and mouse pad.

In their defence, I was a very heavy user, about 10+ hours a day every day almost including a few 36 hour stints. So they definitely got (ab)used a bit
    Sounds like my Toshiba - I'll take a photo of the thing when the digicam's batteries have charged up. It's completely worn out after only 6 months (8 - 14 hours a day usage). It's coated in silver paint that has worn down to the black plastic underneath, the touchpad has died and the keytops are all wearing out.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    In the space of 3 years i managed to get through 2 Dell latitudes, thankfully neither were paid for by me One of them stopped booting everytime, the other one suffered from a broken keyboard and mouse pad.

In their defence, I was a very heavy user, about 10+ hours a day every day almost including a few 36 hour stints. So they definitely got (ab)used a bit

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I've been using a client's Toshiba for the last 18 months. It's been ok but the batteries's run out of steam (only has about 30 mins stand-alone life before I have to find a socket) and now no longer shuts down normally. I'm backing up every night 'cos I'm not expecting it to wake up the next morning...

My Fujitsu is still going strong (I'll give it to hubby when I buy a new one later this year).

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    Latitudes were great - I got throught 5 of them in the day (XPS series).

MacBooks will burn your cock right off.

Only going to use it on a desk and unfortunately my cock doesn't reach that far. Plus they've lowered the price and upped the spec today so it looks like a veritable bargain.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by interested
    I used to have a Toshiba, which was great until I spilt a load of red wine on it, I now have a Dell Latitude which is kind of OK.

Am seriously thinking of the 17" Macbook Pro for home use.
    Latitudes were great - I got throught 5 of them in the day (XPS series).

MacBooks will burn your cock right off.

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    I used to have a Toshiba, which was great until I spilt a load of red wine on it, I now have a Dell Latitude which is kind of OK.

Am seriously thinking of the 17" Macbook Pro for home use.

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Dell

Originally posted by TheMonkey
    I have a Toshiba Satellite M50 - P4M 1.73GHz / 14" widescreen / Radeon / DVDRAM / 60Gb disk. Bought it from John Lewis the day it came out for £899.

Keyboard and touchpad are tulipe though - one crumb and they pack up.
    I've got a dell xps m170, cost £2300, 2.3Ghz, 2gb, 17 inch widescreen lightening fast for .net 2.0 sql server 2005 plus it has flashing neon lights. That was the deal clincher.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I have a Toshiba Satellite M50 - P4M 1.73GHz / 14" widescreen / Radeon / DVDRAM / 60Gb disk. Bought it from John Lewis the day it came out for £899.

Keyboard and touchpad are tulipe though - one crumb and they pack up.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Looks like someone is trawling the web for negative comments about dell and then rebutting them. Prolly a standard post as well.

Fron the language they are definately not UK based either. Definate colonial odour there.
    Last edited by DaveB; 16 May 2006, 09:08. Reason: I cant speel

Leave a comment:

• Clavdivs
    replied
    ..so know we know what Dell sales guys are reading at 1 o'clock in the morning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X