• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Back ups

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Back ups"

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I believe in defence in depth.

I now have 77 backups on 77 different computers.

Sadly the house fell down & destroyed them all.

Such is life.

seriously though, in addition to the backups get a fireproof safe and place backups in there along with house deeds, passports, bank details etc. you may think it won't happen but it can. two of my family members have had total devastation by fire (no loss of life thank goodness) in the last 5 years. they lost everything. make sure your backup has your photos.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    I use a Buffalo Terastation myself - ethernet socket on the back, 2 usb ports if you want to add any extra USB drives, 4 hard drives that I'm running in RAID5 so if one breaks you just slot another one in and you haven't lost anything. Easy to use - thumbs up from me!
    Can you provide more details? I am looking at getting a Qnap TS-101 so that I can run it with open source SlimServer to allow me to play my MP3 files. Any comments?

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Got one of those Buffalo's too, lovely bit of kit
    What model/size of drive did you get and where from?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    If it's just the thumb drive, get somebody nice and friendly to invite you to gmail, then email the zip file to yourself as and when.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Where did you get it from, Ardy?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Got one of those Buffalo's too, lovely bit of kit

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    I use a Buffalo Terastation myself - ethernet socket on the back, 2 usb ports if you want to add any extra USB drives, 4 hard drives that I'm running in RAID5 so if one breaks you just slot another one in and you haven't lost anything. Easy to use - thumbs up from me!

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    The Slug has an ethernet interface as well as 2 x USB connections so you are basically serving up the attached USB storage as a NAS device; highly reccomend it

PM me if you need anymore information

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    One of those USB hard drives from PC world. Got 80 GB, forget what it cost, about 60 quid I think.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak

To protect yourself from Zeity's misfortune, regularly backup your most vital business data/functions onto a DVD and post them to your Mum...

What, so she can use it as a coaster?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I believe in defence in depth.

I now have 77 backups on 77 different computers.

Sadly the house fell down & destroyed them all.

Such is life.

To protect yourself from Zeity's misfortune, regularly backup your most vital business data/functions onto a DVD and post them to your Mum...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    If you're a bit strange you could always go for this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Thanks Kirk (& everyone else). Can you recommend the Linksys N2SLU2 - does it have a LAN connection rather than just a USB? If so, it could fix two of my problems in one. I want to provide common storage between two laptops that are on the network at home.

Are there any other NAS units that people can recommend? I want to get enough space first time round rather than have seperate units.

Once I have implemented this, I can use the shared/common storage area as a back up for the laptop hard disks.

The main data that I have that is valuable - apart from some emails - is my company books and records. I would not want to lose them!

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    I have a Linksys N2SLU2 (or Slug as they're affectionately know) NAS device with 2 x 320GB USB2 drives attached, they are mirrored overnight for resiliance. I also have a seperate 250GB USB2 drive attaced to my Windows 2003 file server which runs a backup of the whole lote once a week which I take with me (when I can be bothered).

Paranoid? I think not, I'd hate to lose all my data
    Last edited by kirk; 20 March 2007, 15:07.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    I use a flash drive a lot to transfer between different environments. I am naturally cautious about backing up its contents frequently and store a zip file on my laptop.

I then got to thinking that I don't back up my laptop!! What do you all do regarding back ups? Do you periodically copy your entire hard drive to a CD? If not, what do you do?

I guess there are some out there that just dont bother......!!

Why do you want to backup your entire hard drive? Stick the zipfile somewhere safe (i.e. somewhere the original data isn't) and then you have multiple copies of that information.

If your laptop goes bang, get it fixed and then restore the data.

Job done...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X