• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Odd jscript problem"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Yeh. I'm an incompetent old fart.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Could you possibly have additional elements using the same ID name on the DOM at the time?
    Don't think so. Think it's all solved now as I said. Initially I used a single box to show tips and details for pins/tracks. Then modified the box to include images relating to pins forgetting I'd used it for the tips.

Names can be a problem. Once lazily used names x and y for position in some interactive games, only for them to stop working in Chrome when Google added undocumented properties x and y.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 24 December 2020, 16:54.

Leave a comment:

• CynicalBroccoli
    replied
    Could you possibly have additional elements using the same ID name on the DOM at the time?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Eh??
    PICNIC - Wiktionary

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    PICNIC
    Eh??

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Bah. Elsewhere in a tool tip function I was setting innerHTML of the container div to "". Sometimes after refresh I would move the mouse over the tool and trigger it.
    PICNIC

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    IDIOT!

Bah. Elsewhere in a tool tip function I was setting innerHTML of the container div to "". Sometimes after refresh I would move the mouse over the tool and trigger it.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 December 2020, 17:40.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Cheers eek have a go at that when I 've fixed me curtain rods. Ever had a clue why just one element should not exist and only sometimes? Evil spirits!

Edit
    Ah. No didn't fix it but ta anyway eek.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 December 2020, 15:05.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I've had this a few times recently on one of my Amazon bots (everything is there when you look at the html but it doesn't exist).

To fix it I've taken to using document.getElementsByClassName("info")[0].innerHTML=""; to fix it with and using the classNames of the element which means your div will need to be

<div id="info" class="info"></div>

equally though a better approach would be

var info=document.getElementById("info");
    if (info===null){
    info=
    document.getElementsByClassName("info")[0];
    }
    if (info!==null){
    info.innerHTML="";
    }

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    An alert at top of script shows correct innerHTML content every time I refresh the page. Then the property is null when I try and use it in mouseover.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 December 2020, 11:21.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    got a link to the page?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Ah! Nostrils! Neither defer nor moving the script to bottom of page has worked. Must be some odd fault somewhere. Thanks anyway.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Great, not heard of defer. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Maybe I should put all the jscript at end not start of page?
    Yep, put script at the bottom of the page so the html will be loaded first, or use 'defer' for external scripts being linked to:

javascript - Is it necessary to put scripts at the bottom of a page when using the "defer" attribute? - Stack Overflow

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    It is very likely that you are setting up this property through script before even it becomes visible to the script. Could it be the case? Make sure <div id="info"></div> exists before the script is run.
    This is your answer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X