• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New facebook, ugh

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New facebook, ugh"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Interesting read about how the new format, and Facebook in general, is designed to thwart good quality engagement rather than aid it

Facebook’s latest “groups” disaster will only make it more toxic | Ars Technica

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Oh, I'm not saying I don't use it.

As for the new layout, is this the one they introduced a couple of months ago, or are they doing something even newer/worse?

I'm currently using it in dark mode on safari.
    I only got it last week, though it might be different people got it different times?

FWIW the phone version is actually really good.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I always use it off my phone but did try to use on the PC recently and it was appalling! I completely agree that they have bastardised it

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

As for the new layout, is this the one they introduced a couple of months ago, or are they doing something even newer/worse?

Dark mode is a big improvement.

Not really noticed any other issues with it.. Except... I'm sure I don't always get notifications now (checked the settings for various groups and they are still set to notify).

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Amusing as it is how any mention of FB draws a crowd of people who love to tell everyone they don't use it, this isn't really the place - self congratulation is better posted in General

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mjcp View Post
    Yup... its utter tosh.

I only use phone / iPad for it now... the one exception I stumble across yesterday was needing to become and admin of a group - had to do it via the PC.

M
    I think I may have to do the same. Shame as I actually use it for proper conversations and can't be doing with a phone screen for typing

Adblock has been helpful though. Hid some parts of the page entirely

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Amusing as it is how any mention of FB draws a crowd of people who love to tell everyone they don't use it, this isn't really the place - self congratulation is better posted in General

Leave a comment:

• mjcp
    replied
    The new Facebook just hit my browser and my God, it's horrible. Billed as clean and light, they've made it so each post takes up my entire (very large) monitor. Seems mainly they've blown images up far larger? It's like FaceBook for the elderly.
    I've already attacked it with AdBlock to remove the pointless "stories" top-bar that was eating 20% of the space, but I seem to recall there are ways to monkey with individual sites/pages?
    Not sure if this is worse because I have a high-res monitor (QHD) - I thought Mac was better at this?

Of course lots of people are off FB these days.
    Yup... its utter tosh.

I only use phone / iPad for it now... the one exception I stumble across yesterday was needing to become and admin of a group - had to do it via the PC.

M

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Sorry, Face what?

It's like CUK, but with fewer extreme views and more contractors.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    The new Facebook just hit my browser and my God, it's horrible. Billed as clean and light, they've made it so each post takes up my entire (very large) monitor. Seems mainly they've blown images up far larger? It's like FaceBook for the elderly.
    I've already attacked it with AdBlock to remove the pointless "stories" top-bar that was eating 20% of the space, but I seem to recall there are ways to monkey with individual sites/pages?
    Not sure if this is worse because I have a high-res monitor (QHD) - I thought Mac was better at this?

Sorry, Face what?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic New facebook, ugh

New facebook, ugh

Working...
X