• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WFH Web meeting kit"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by velcro View Post
    I'm using mine as one of three lights (along with the main overhead light and a lamp). So Lume cube to the left on a mini tripod and the lamp on the right. In the early evening, the Lume cube is enough to get rid of any shadows on its own and can gives a pretty cool effect, but definitely not when fully dark.
    New main light and a daylight bulb worked wonders too.
    Hope you get it sorted
    Thanks velcro, I’ll play around with it.

I’m new to this lighting lark and expected too much from it tbh.

Leave a comment:

• velcro
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    So I bought the Lume cube Panel Mini and I’m pretty disappointed - I bought the wrong light.

It doesn’t really cut the mustard lighting up a dark image. Probably better used on a DSLR.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

I'm using mine as one of three lights (along with the main overhead light and a lamp). So Lume cube to the left on a mini tripod and the lamp on the right. In the early evening, the Lume cube is enough to get rid of any shadows on its own and can gives a pretty cool effect, but definitely not when fully dark.
    New main light and a daylight bulb worked wonders too.
    Hope you get it sorted

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    More times than not, an improvement in lighting will be much better than just a camera upgrade
    If you are upgrading your camera, think about some proper studio lighting and turn off the strobing LED home lights.

Continuous Lighting Kits | Video & Film Lighting | EssentialPhoto

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    How very dare you, I don’t muddy my hands like a code monkey!
    ah, a Powerpoint Monkey/Bullsh1t Artist/some sort of manager then, sorry.
    i meant no insult, - honest. big boys done it and ran away.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    WFH Web meeting kit

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    FTFY.
    [emoji3]

oh, and it's all fur coat and nae knickers, like Embra folk.
    How very dare you, I don’t muddy my hands like a common code monkey!
    Last edited by SimonMac; 9 October 2020, 19:27.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by velcro View Post
    Update on this:
    The Lume Cube light is really good, I'd recommend it. Overall the changes I've made so far to the lighting in the room definitely make a massive difference.
    The webcam (Logitech Streamcam) arrived today and I had it working in five minutes. The picture is great, even when turning it down to 720p. When in 1080p mode I think it's better still, but to be honest it's small degrees so hard to tell. The Logitech Capture software is easy to use and gives a lot of options.
    I haven't bothered with a microphone as I'll see how I get on with using the Logitech's built in dual microphones.

So, the best change I've made was the lighting. The most expensive change was the webcam, but if it helps me get a new gig, then it'll be worth it.

Oh, and I can recommend an Iiyama 27" Quad HD monitor too!
    So I bought the Lume cube Panel Mini and I’m pretty disappointed - I bought the wrong light.

It doesn’t really cut the mustard lighting up a dark image. Probably better used on a DSLR.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I’m a web developer, it’s all style over substance
    FTFY.

oh, and it's all fur coat and nae knickers, like Embra folk.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    15 year old creative speakers
    logitech somthingorother webcam
    30+ year old anglepoise desklamp.

I mean, it's what i can do that matters FFS.

Geez.
    millenials.
    I’m a contractor, it’s all style over substance

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    15 year old creative speakers
    logitech somthingorother webcam
    30+ year old anglepoise desklamp.

I mean, it's what i can do that matters FFS.

Geez.
    millenials.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Posting my other thread made me realise I didn’t actually say the kit I’m using.

Nikon D7000
    Elgato 4K cam link (takes the feed from the camera or any other HDMI output)

Rode NT-USB microphone (might be on its last legs if the other thread turns out to be a none starter)
    SM6 shock mount and pop filter (if you’re going external mic get a shock mount as even the tiniest vibrations are picked up with a better mic, the pop filter is soften the hard P sounds)

2 x Elgato Key Light Airs

Most is repurposed from my photography hobby so only real cost was time getting everything set up on my desk

Leave a comment:

• velcro
    replied
    Update on this:
    The Lume Cube light is really good, I'd recommend it. Overall the changes I've made so far to the lighting in the room definitely make a massive difference.
    The webcam (Logitech Streamcam) arrived today and I had it working in five minutes. The picture is great, even when turning it down to 720p. When in 1080p mode I think it's better still, but to be honest it's small degrees so hard to tell. The Logitech Capture software is easy to use and gives a lot of options.
    I haven't bothered with a microphone as I'll see how I get on with using the Logitech's built in dual microphones.

So, the best change I've made was the lighting. The most expensive change was the webcam, but if it helps me get a new gig, then it'll be worth it.

Oh, and I can recommend an Iiyama 27" Quad HD monitor too!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Play nicely or I'll put up your photo from facebook showing how lockdown has treated you!
    Please don't.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ahhh so the statement should have been more along the lines of....
    Play nicely or I'll put up your photo from facebook showing how lockdown has treated you!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Being a part time photographer I use my backup DSLR and a lighting rig as my web cam, excellent image quality but then I realised I look like a yeti as I've not had a haircut or trimmed by beard in 7 months so thought why try polishing a turd
    Ahhh so the statement should have been more along the lines of....

Personally speaking, a paper bag will be much better than just a camera upgrade

Leave a comment:

• velcro
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    PS: I'd be tempted to make do with the laptop web cams for a bit; you're being fleeced on a new webcam IMHO.
    You're right, they are taking the p with pricing. Although I'm spending on tech this year from the company account, just in case I have to do the unthinkable and go perm come April..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X