• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Displaying Oracle data on a web-page (internal dashboard type thing)"

Collapse

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    what about using Oracle application express?. I think it's included in the oracle licence.
    opps, already suggested by darry

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    what about using Oracle application express?. I think it's included in the oracle licence.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    There is a free version and it does support publishing to the web but I have not used that functionality on free version so not sure what limitations there are if any.

Might be worth playing around with it a little bit.

I would really avoid writing something yourself as there are plenty of good dashboard tools out there.

You can always build something relatively simple with limited function in free power bi that some key users can get benefit out of. Once this has been done, then it's a much easier sell to move them onto the paid version and get full functionality down the road.
    The first cost I was thinking of is giving external internet access to an oracle database as I suspect the database isn't in Azure cloud....

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
    At a cost though
    There is a free version and it does support publishing to the web but I have not used that functionality on free version so not sure what limitations there are if any.

Might be worth playing around with it a little bit.

I would really avoid writing something yourself as there are plenty of good dashboard tools out there.

You can always build something relatively simple with limited function in free power bi that some key users can get benefit out of. Once this has been done, then it's a much easier sell to move them onto the paid version and get full functionality down the road.

Leave a comment:

• madame SasGuru
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Pretty sure Power BI works with Oracle - should give you all the pretty pictures you need.
    At a cost though

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Our project has no real web presence currently but a dash-board has been requested and browser seems the way to go. Pretty simple, displaying some metrics about system performance.

I am guessing it would effectively be running some saved queries against our Oracle 19 DB. I've never worked on this sort of DB reporting thing on Oracle but it seems like the sort of thing I shouldn't be having to write bare code. If I can avoid writing HTML in 2020 I will be very pleased

Any recommendations on search terms or whatever?
    System performance of the Oracle DB ?
    Oracle Grid Control was a thing. Not sure if it still exists.

If just Web reporting of queries from an Oracle DB then Oracle Apex could help. Pretty friendly to use. Again quite old tech.

Maybe Quest have a Toad plug in that can generate HTML easily.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    If you want to do this on the cheap, you can do it with the free version of SPLUNK, you will need to set up the ODBC when you are trialing the paid version but once it's configured up and set to import there will be no need to change it.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Pretty sure Power BI works with Oracle - should give you all the pretty pictures you need.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Does Oracle even have saved queries and reports, or is it a case of just writing stored procedures - I can bung that into an ASP.net page I suppose. Yuck.
    Stored procedures would be my approach - you don't really want extra ports on an oracle software product - there will be security holes glory..

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Does Oracle even have saved queries and reports, or is it a case of just writing stored procedures - I can bung that into an ASP.net page I suppose. Yuck.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Our project has no real web presence currently but a dash-board has been requested and browser seems the way to go. Pretty simple, displaying some metrics about system performance.

I am guessing it would effectively be running some saved queries against our Oracle 19 DB. I've never worked on this sort of DB reporting thing on Oracle but it seems like the sort of thing I shouldn't be having to write bare code. If I can avoid writing HTML in 2020 I will be very pleased

You would have thought so but oracle is still rubbish at this sort of thing - time to start crafting some hand written code...

Leave a comment:

• Displaying Oracle data on a web-page (internal dashboard type thing)

Working...
X