• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Your Device is Offline Please Sign In With The Last Password Used On This Device"

Collapse

• Excursion UK
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Just try the PIN option. I have it on all my devices and never have a log in issue. You can always disable it if it proves too difficult for you to cope with.

It's even Microsoft's recommended approach:
    Why a PIN is better than a password (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs

So, not only is it more secure but, as I said, it's local and doesn't need the internet to validate.

But if you're just trolling then stick with the method that makes you least happy.
    I will do. I upgraded to Win 10 so long ago that I can't even remember anything about a PIN

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
    Yes, but I do manage to get in on the second attempt. It's just a bit annoying and I could do without it. 1st world problems
    Just try the PIN option. I have it on all my devices and never have a log in issue. You can always disable it if it proves too difficult for you to cope with.

It's even Microsoft's recommended approach:
    Why a PIN is better than a password (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs

PIN is local to the device

A password is transmitted to the server -- it can be intercepted in transmission or stolen from a server. A PIN is local to the device -- it isn't transmitted anywhere and it isn't stored on the server. When the PIN is created, it establishes a trusted relationship with the identity provider and creates an asymmetric key pair that is used for authentication. When you enter your PIN, it unlocks the authentication key and uses the key to sign the request that is sent to the authenticating server.
    So, not only is it more secure but, as I said, it's local and doesn't need the internet to validate.

But if you're just trolling then stick with the method that makes you least happy.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    It's faster to wake-from-sleep than to boot from cold. I rarely switch off my laptop and it's generally only rebooted when I have to install updates.
    Ditto. Well, almost. I disable sleep

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    From sleep. There seemed to be a degree of randomness but that was down to whether or not the device was plugged in or on battery. I changed the advanced power options as per DP's suggestion.

And try switching it off - will extend its life.

Leave a comment:

• Excursion UK
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, but how about being helpful and answering the question about when your error occurs.
    From sleep. There seemed to be a degree of randomness but that was down to whether or not the device was plugged in or on battery. I changed the advanced power options as per DP's suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    True. Force of habit, I guess.

OK, but how about being helpful and answering the question about when your error occurs.

Leave a comment:

• Excursion UK
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm guessing here, Wifi adapter is set to sleep in the power options, so when the device wakes, it takes time for the Wifi to connect.

Check the power management settings so that the network adapter does not sleep.
    Yes, that seems to have fixed it - it was the power settings for the wifi adapter when the device is on battery power that I changed.

and they couldn't answer that on overclockers. It's good here innit?!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    It's faster to wake-from-sleep than to boot from cold. I rarely switch off my laptop and it's generally only rebooted when I have to install updates.
    OK. If it's plugged in and switched on all the time then you want a desktop with a good power supply, not a laptop that's designed to be switched off.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    WHY?
    Laptops are not servers or desktops. When not in use, switch OFF.

Leave a comment:

• Excursion UK
    replied
    WHY?

So, next question - do you always get the issue, or only when you wake from sleep? Or only when you restart it from being shut down?
    True. Force of habit, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sockies need to increase post count to improve credibility.
    I'm not really sure why we give known sockies trolling the forums any time when (if) they really need help. Live by the sword and all that. Contained to General and that's it IMO

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Is anyone actually believing any of this?
    Sockies need to increase post count to improve credibility.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No, but I'm bored.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I mostly sleep it but restart every 2-3 days
    WHY?

So, next question - do you always get the issue, or only when you wake from sleep? Or only when you restart it from being shut down?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X