• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NETGEAR EX7500 Extender"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Thanks for all replies, I have moved the router to a better location (for some unfathomable reason I had it tucked away in a corner!) and that has resulted in far better speed. Going to look at the channels then reconfigure the extender again.

Cheers

qh

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    I don't have experience with the EX7500 extender. One weakness shared by all extenders/repeaters is that, essentially, they are just amplifying a weak signal path. They can only take the (perhaps already weak) wireless signal they are getting from the main hub, and amplify it.

I recently improved the wireless reception in my lounge by changing the main wireless channel on the main router/hub. According to one of those wireless strength apps (eg Wi-Fi Analytics on Android), there were 4 nearby sources all on the same channel. I changed it to an unused channel and the improvement was immediate.

For repeaters, an effective one needs a wired connection to the main hub. For example, any old BT router can be re-purposed as an additional wireless access point, as long as you can arrange/tolerate an ethernet cable (or power line connection) between it and your main hub:

Reuse a spare BT Home Hub as a Wireless Access Point | Unix etc.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Ello. Recently purchased a EX7500 Extender for the new office and on initial config it worked however recently it has been dropping out for all devices (laptop/phones, etc) saying "could not obtain IP address".

When I set it up I think I managed to group both the SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals - into one wifi signal. Would that cause the issues? Netgear online help ain't that great.

I am wondering if one else has one of these? I can design and implement a nifty cloud database system but when it comes to home wifi I haven't a clue, lots of trial and error.

TIA

qh
    Having both SSID with the same name does not cause an issue, as long as they are on separate channels

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Ello. Recently purchased a EX7500 Extender for the new office and on initial config it worked however recently it has been dropping out for all devices (laptop/phones, etc) saying "could not obtain IP address".

When I set it up I think I managed to group both the SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals - into one wifi signal. Would that cause the issues? Netgear online help ain't that great.

I am wondering if one else has one of these? I can design and implement a nifty cloud database system but when it comes to home wifi I haven't a clue, lots of trial and error.

TIA

qh
    Out of interest, what router are you using for your broadband?

(Only asking cause a mate of mine is pinging me on Faceache about him getting connection errors with a Vodafone router.)

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    started a topic NETGEAR EX7500 Extender

NETGEAR EX7500 Extender

TIA

qh

Working...
X