• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New motherboard and processor"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Working fine. Noticeably faster. I'm doing some video editing in a couple of months, so I'll really find out then.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    How's the new setup running? Looking to go down a similar route myself.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
    Put Sage (and new license) inside a VM like you do with your SAP stuff and the license will be groovy next time you move.
    Well done on fixing though.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Great idea... but requires an additional win10 license.

I have however just received a shiny new UPS which I will install on a couple of days when I'm working from home again.

Many thanks for everyone's insights.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I agree about the UPS, I've used this one for a couple of years now.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using one of those for the last 7 years or so, works well - battery life has diminished a bit over time but still showing 30mins.

Alternatively if you just want to protect the PC from mains spikes (for example when the power comes back on) you might get by with just a surge protector.

I got the UPS mainly to protect my NAS. The APC one is able to be setup such that when a piece of equipment plugged into the Master socket is switched off, the UPS will kill the power to anything else plugged into the "Controlled" bank. So for example, I used to schedule the NAS to shutdown overnight - which (via the UPS) would cause my router, switch etc to also switch off. When the NAS powered up again in the morning, the UPS would turn the power back on for everything else. Which was nice

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    ...then a miracle happened.

Put the new mobo with new chip and memory. Switched, chose "repair" from the windows "it's all gone horribly wrong menu", and a little while later the system was restored.

Except I had to install new drivers for ethernet, and ****ing Sage tie the license to a key derived from hardware. Bunch of ****ers.
    Put Sage (and new license) inside a VM like you do with your SAP stuff and the license will be groovy next time you move.
    Well done on fixing though.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...then a miracle happened.

Put the new mobo with new chip and memory. Switched, chose "repair" from the windows "it's all gone horribly wrong menu", and a little while later the system was restored.

Except I had to install new drivers for ethernet, and ****ing Sage tie the license to a key derived from hardware. Bunch of ****ers.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    In Switzerland, power outages are so rare it's hard to find a reasonably priced, not too large UPS. But I can (and will) get a surge protector. I was out during the incident, so I wouldn't have been able to do a clean shutdown anyway.

Interestingly, it's hard to find a MB with more than 6 Sata connections. The old one as 12. I'll just have to buy a separate SATA controller board. The power connector matches the new MB.
    You probably know that you can get your ups to shut down windows automatically, as long as you don’t have an unsaved notepad open ? not sure how graceful it would be.

The ups I posted the link for is very very ugly.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    In Switzerland, power outages are so rare it's hard to find a reasonably priced, not too large UPS. But I can (and will) get a surge protector. I was out during the incident, so I wouldn't have been able to do a clean shutdown anyway.

Interestingly, it's hard to find a MB with more than 6 Sata connections. The old one as 12. I'll just have to buy a separate SATA controller board. The power connector matches the new MB.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    slightly nerdy I know, but I use a UPS for broadband and wireless.
    That way I can still work (invoice) during a power cut.
    Aye, the APC one I have has 4 sockets with battery backup and surge protection, and four more for just surge protection. I make sure the essential stuff (PC, broadband router, switch box, ...) are in the former so have about 10 mins to wait it out or shut down if the outage is a longer one.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove
    You really need a UPS for the UPS just to be really confident like.

And you need to test said UPS regularly or you'll find it surprises you by not fecking working just when you need it the most.

Guess how I know that.
    Mine self-tests every so often without any interruption to my work, as long as the self test works. It is getting on a bit and being just a battery in a fancy case it's bound to need replacing soon.

As for upgrading the knackered PC, make sure the new mobo has same power connector requirements as the old one, or the power supply is new enough to have what is required. Not sure when the standards last changed but I was unable to use an old spare PSU due to it not having a separate connector for the CPU, and also it didn't have many SATA connectors (as it was from the days of just starting the change over from IDE to SATA) so ended up getting a new one.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    slightly nerdy I know, but I use a UPS for broadband and wireless.
    That way I can still work (invoice) during a power cut.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'd suggest you add a UPS as well. I once had a machine die due to a powercut. It was bloody inconvenient!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I'd suggest you add a UPS as well. I once had a machine die due to a powercut. It was bloody inconvenient!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    started a topic New motherboard and processor

New motherboard and processor

After a powercut, my self-built PC I built in 2014 won't boot up. From the diagnostics, it looks like the processor is fried. So I've decided to upgrade,

I use the PC for video editing and running VMs (SAP, HANA Express DB), as well as less intensive operations. I occasionally play Elite...

I just want a good, fast, stable office computer. I prefer Intel processors over AMD. 64GB memory seems appropriate. I've got a decent graphics board, and a 750W power supply. I don't need any clever overclocking.

So far:
    Intel core i9-9900K 3.6GHz
    ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (LGA 1151, Intel Z390, ATX)
    Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 4-Kit (4x, 16GB, DDR4-3000, DIMM 288)
    ...and some thermal paste.

Seem ok? Or other recommendations?

Is it worth replacing the cooling fan for the processor?

Working...
X