• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Using an old mobile number"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Port your number to twilio and set up SMS and call forwarding to your first number.

Setting Up Call Forwarding – Twilio Support
    Forwarding SMS messages to another phone number – Twilio Support

edit: I think it's 2 dollars a month for a mobile number
    Last edited by minestrone; 28 February 2019, 12:47.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
    I thought you were supposed to use them once then eat them afterwards?
    Not recommended...

Leave a comment:

• Stevie Wonder Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Looking at options to keep an old mobile phone number active. Currently it's in an old iPhone (which needs regular charging), on Three's PAYG (321) so I just top up maybe once a year and it's peanuts to keep. I use it for receiving texts (mainly OTP login codes). Calls are diverted to my main mobile number.

But ... I wouldn't mind ditching the second phone. However as I'm a tight arse I haven't come up with an easy solution that's cheap enough.

Nicest way would be to use an eSIM in my iPhone, but EE want �9 month for that.
    Had a look at VOIP options, but it seems they don't handle receiving texts that well.

Maybe I just stick with the PAYG SIM and get a cheap handset that I don't have to charge so often.

Any other options I haven't considered ? thanks.
    I thought you were supposed to use them once then eat them afterwards?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Keep your iPhone on charge in a car. You can then use the 'find my iphone' facility as a cheap car tracker if it's stolen, or in your wife's car if you're possessive, or in a spare car if family members often borrow it and you want to keep tabs on it.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Replace the iPhone battery

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by WLB2018 View Post
    Would getting a phone with a dual sim slot work?

Have both in and then from time to time use it? Keeps both active and in one phone?

just a thought...

WLB
    No dual sim slot in my iPhone. I could do it now though with the eSIM function, but I'm too tight to pay the monthly EE fee for the eSIM.

Think I'll just get a cheap phone (maybe android) which holds it charge well, and stick the existing PAYG sim into that.

Leave a comment:

• WLB2018
    replied
    Would getting a phone with a dual sim slot work?

Have both in and then from time to time use it? Keeps both active and in one phone?

just a thought...

WLB

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Keep a really ancient old O2 PAYG phone in van as spare. Never use it except to call my own phone line every 6 months to ensure account stays active. I talk to myself anyway.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Looking at options to keep an old mobile phone number active. Currently it's in an old iPhone (which needs regular charging), on Three's PAYG (321) so I just top up maybe once a year and it's peanuts to keep. I use it for receiving texts (mainly OTP login codes). Calls are diverted to my main mobile number.

But ... I wouldn't mind ditching the second phone. However as I'm a tight arse I haven't come up with an easy solution that's cheap enough.

Nicest way would be to use an eSIM in my iPhone, but EE want £9 month for that.
    Had a look at VOIP options, but it seems they don't handle receiving texts that well.

Maybe I just stick with the PAYG SIM and get a cheap handset that I don't have to charge so often.

I have a Tesco's PAYG SIM card and top it up twice or three times a year with £10, works for me

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    started a topic Using an old mobile number

Using an old mobile number

Nicest way would be to use an eSIM in my iPhone, but EE want £9 month for that.

Working...
X