• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What tech are/have you put time into researching/learning recently?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    The Wiki definition of an undergraduate degree looks a little confusing to me. Can you explain in simple terms what it means?
    LMGTFY

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesTWW View Post
    I actually have an undergraduate degree in IT. I was aiming to go to my local community college for an AAS in IT and pursue CompTIA A+ as well since some of the credits from the AAS can apply to the certification. I know it's technically not required to have an AAS before getting a post-grad cert, but I'd really value the additional education and the degree might help with getting an entry-level job quicker (APKNite is also giving me an offer). My long-term goal would be to complete a BS in IT and possibly focus more on network administration and disaster recovery.
    The Wiki definition of an undergraduate degree looks a little confusing to me. Can you explain in simple terms what it means?

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesTWW View Post
    I actually have an undergraduate degree in IT. I was aiming to go to my local community college for an AAS in IT and pursue CompTIA A+ as well since some of the credits from the AAS can apply to the certification. I know it's technically not required to have an AAS before getting a post-grad cert, but I'd really value the additional education and the degree might help with getting an entry-level job quicker (APKNite is also giving me an offer). My long-term goal would be to complete a BS in IT and possibly focus more on network administration and disaster recovery.
    Do you really need degree for entry level IT jobs nowadays? It's definitely not worth the paper it's printed on for senior roles, as experience trumps degree.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    "FORTRAN"

gosh, I tinkered with Fortran over 40 years ago.
    I first tinkered with it in 1972 typing very slowly on an ASR33 connected to a Modular One computer.

After the very limited success of that, I tinkered with it for 8 years after 1979 for the want of a C compiler on the General Automation box in question.

Though RATFOR might have been an option.

My most recent learning involves how to dig up the roots of bushes when they'be been there 25 years or more.

Turns out it's hard work.

Leave a comment:

• JamesTWW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FancyBear
    replied
    I work in the Cyber Security industry but have always worked on the Blue Team. I have a home lab set up to do some Red Team/PenTest stuff and develop my understanding in that area, it also helps to develop detection capabilities in the Blue Team.

I plan on getting some AWS security/architecture courses under my belt in the coming weeks.

How much time are people spending on personal development in order to strengthen their chances of winning contract work?

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Balancing 2 twin choke Webers is my worst car experience, but four keihins can be fun, too.............
    I only have singles, twins and triples to deal with

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Currently re-reading 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance'[.
    To keep my carb tuning skills up to date
    try getting the clutch on a Triumph T160V to work correctly when you've been supplied the wrong friction plate!

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Wot PTG said.

One wot is region free so I can watch the 5 region 1 dvds I possess.

Oh, and I investigated the theory that washing dvds in Fairy Liquid(tm) stops them skipping.

The the dvd in question, it appears that it does.

Though it did take undiluted Fairy Liquid(tm) to do it successfully.

Other than that, Z80 FORTRAN, it's the coming thing.
    "FORTRAN"

gosh, I tinkered with Fortran over 40 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Culps67 View Post
    I’m doing the last exam for MCSE Mobility. Very strange cert title as it’s all about deploying Operating Systems and Apps via SCCM/MDT.
    "Operating Systems"

no ZoS then!

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    A DVD player

however much I try, I can't get to grips with understanding thread cutting on my Myford lathe, so I resort to using dies instead.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    New to me, "Linq". Simple to use. Just what I needed for my current task.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm researching Blazor (cause it's new) and Azure. Also, putting some time into MySQL because of client work.
    Blazor has been on my radar since I saw this post last year. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

It's finally moved from 'experimental' to 'preview' status so will officially ship in a future release of .Net Core.

Blazor Graduates from Experiment to Preview -- Visual Studio Magazine

I'm so looking forward to finally closing the lid on the snakepit of Javascript frameworks and libraries. Using C# and Razor for client-side web application development, including SPA, and all that promises* is going to be worth the wait.

*From end to end development integration (including debugging) within Visual Studio with C# code on client and server for things like TDD, Validation, cross-project library standardisation and Razor component/templates, to being hostable on Azure Storage as static web files, using Azure Functions for 'Azure serverless web applications', which I see as being a big thing when the cost savings are realised for restricted access web applications where resource planning and therefore costing will be predictable. All managed via Azure Devops. Bring it on.

Have grabbed the recently released 2019 version of Visual Studio and will be playing around with Blazor and the above so I can say I've x months/years experience of it on my CV when clients want those skills.

Edit: This link is a great starting point for all things Blazor:

GitHub - AdrienTorris/awesome-blazor: A collection of awesome Blazor resources.
    Last edited by Hobosapien; 20 April 2019, 09:35.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    What's the app?
    Probably a random number generator. That was my first example script I created (well, copy/pasted) - stick to what I know
    Last edited by Spoiler; 13 September 2018, 17:19.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Wordpress.

Might not be new tech, but it means that my company can do work for small businesses that want their sites updated from Frontpage, Dreamweaver and Flash. It's also work that can be done in a hotel room when I'm tired of working for a main client.
    It will never pay the bills for me, but it might pay for the odd toy.
    Doing work for small software house and their client along with writing an application wanted someone to take care of their wp site. It's a good way to gain rep with the end client and getting more work out of them.

Also, it can be a nice earner if you host a few of these in the cloud. I think the software house is charging £250pm for hosting and basic support.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X