• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Macbook Pro's are ace buy one immediately :D"

Collapse

• where did my id go?
    replied
    Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I dont drop in that frequently, but its always interesting to see how things are going.

Happy Christmas All!

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    Originally posted by where did my id go?
    He's been around now and then under different ID's.

Gave up contracting when the kids were born. I was soooo bored and just not enjoying it any more.

so now doing childcare and trying to write fiction.

Pleased your lappy is still going strong Jacko.

wotcher ms...didn't know it was you. good to hear you're alive and well.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Good to hear you are still around Mark.
    Last edited by OrangeHopper; 19 December 2006, 15:39.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    What happened to all of us. I used to be a just another Joe before we moved here...
    I had to sack the place when Fiddleabout kept posting NSFW stuff in General. I suspect many others did too.

It's a pity, because there was many a time that the mix of humour and sensible comments got me through an otherwise tedious day.

Leave a comment:

• where did my id go?
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Whatever happened to Mark?

Anyone know?

He's been around now and then under different ID's.

Gave up contracting when the kids were born. I was soooo bored and just not enjoying it any more.

so now doing childcare and trying to write fiction.

Pleased your lappy is still going strong Jacko.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    G4 Powerbook bought for 800 notes 3 years ago still going strong. Best laptop I've ever had and I will get another one when the time is right. G5 Powermac in the office for my music and video editing and also a big windoze server that I never switch on anymore...

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    What happened to all of us. I used to be a just another Joe before we moved here...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    When I bought my iBook, it cost something like 50% more than a similar Compaq laptop a mate bought. His Compaq died a couple of years ago, and my iBook is still going strong. Raw purchase price isn't everything, and as you say, the prices are a lot more competitve now.
    That's an interesting aside, Sysman. I'm replacing my laptop in the New Year even though it's still going strong. It's a bluddy heavy Pentium III without wireless. I got it 6 years agao from Mark Snowdon (an ex-poster on these) boards.

I'll be sorry to see it go, but now is the right time...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Well, for once I'll have to agree. Previously Mac notebooks certainly went at a premium price. But since the switch to Intel Duos the prices for comparable kit are not too bad. And if you look at say the MacBook Pro models then yes you're getting the more or less top of the food chain Intel T7600 Core 2 Duos for much the same, occasionally better, price as any PC notebook out there.

Unfortunately, unless you're a Flash/Photoshop guru, you'll still have to install something else on it to earn your daily crust.
    When I bought my iBook, it cost something like 50% more than a similar Compaq laptop a mate bought. His Compaq died a couple of years ago, and my iBook is still going strong. Raw purchase price isn't everything, and as you say, the prices are a lot more competitve now.

On the software side, I always seemed to be shelling out for something else when I ran Windows. Not so with the Mac. A full development environment and X11 are included, for starters.

There's boatloads of free software, and a lot of Unix/Linux stuff is just a matter of recompiling.

Avoid Norton at all costs. I've heard more than enough horror stories there.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Apple. Products so cool we don't need customers.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    The prie is comparable provided you don't want it in black (fashion victims beware!)
    My notebook is black....then I thought that all notebooks were black.

Apple. Products so cool we don't need customers.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    The prie is comparable provided you don't want it in black (fashion victims beware!)

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Unfortunately, unless you're a Flash/Photoshop guru, you'll still have to install something else on it to earn your daily crust.
    Or unless you develop in Java

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    That's actually a myth - unless you're talking about the Wintel laptops that contain generic components.

If you had to source a laptop with the equivalent branded parts you'd expect to pay pretty much the same. They're slightly cheaper than the equivalent Thinkpad for example.
    Well, for once I'll have to agree. Previously Mac notebooks certainly went at a premium price. But since the switch to Intel Duos the prices for comparable kit are not too bad. And if you look at say the MacBook Pro models then yes you're getting the more or less top of the food chain Intel T7600 Core 2 Duos for much the same, occasionally better, price as any PC notebook out there.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    If you have a Mac then get this.... http://orbicule.com/

Must say that on the surface that software looks really, really nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X