• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Solar power-battery-frost heater for garage solutions?"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The garage is only going to connect to the house on one wall ...
    Staying on my earlier theme, drill a hole in the connecting wall and install a small fan to draw warm air from the house into the garage.

Otherwise, see if there's any solar panel subsidies still available and solar panel the garage roof. Will save you money on electricity in the summer when not needed for heating.

Edit: I expect most people with a connecting garage extend their central heating into it, or just use electric heater via extension cable if no power points in garage, if they're wanting to heat the space.
    Last edited by Hobosapien; 2 November 2017, 08:08.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    And I thought that might be the bottom line. I didn't know with so much focus on solar energy and the like that the tech might have moved on and prices dropped to be a bit more viable. The fact I was struggling to find any kind of 'packaged solution' at a reasonable price was speaking volumes to me.
    Most of the packaged solutions are just around lighting, so not requiring a lot of power. It's when you want heat that it becomes a bigger issue.
    I've priced up solar to one of the sheds and it would be around £300 to give me lighting and a couple of 5v USB points. To jump up to 230V regulated for a computer and monitor etc basically sticks a zero on the price.
    But comparing that with creating a new circuit in the house, digging up the patio ( ), digging a trench a further 50 metres down the garden, then running trunking and putting a cable down it, well that's going to be quite a bit more (including Part P)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Does anything solar work in the bleak expanse that you call home?

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    (I only got as far as collecting enough beer cans...)

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    https://home.howstuffworks.com/green...ge-furnace.htm

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Doesn't look like there is much ROI, when you consider batteries etc.
    And I thought that might be the bottom line. I didn't know with so much focus on solar energy and the like that the tech might have moved on and prices dropped to be a bit more viable. The fact I was struggling to find any kind of 'packaged solution' at a reasonable price was speaking volumes to me.

The garage is only going to connect to the house on one wall so isn't going to benefit from residual heat like the integrals ones do so didn't know if people heated/insulated theirs if it was similarly located.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Alternatively run a hot air pipe from your computer desk to garage.
    Hee hee.. Me likey.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    And I not only helped you in your time of need, I even gave you a hug
    I know, I was just hitting out. In my defense at least the quality of my answer for your question indicates why I'm not allowed near drills and hammers to make things.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Just position a mirror in southern facing garden to point through garage window.

Alternatively run a hot air pipe from your computer desk to garage.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Doesn't look like there is much ROI, when you consider batteries etc.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    OK, better option:
    200W Mono 24v LCD Solar Panel Kit 10 Year Panel Warranty Z Brackets Sheds Homes | eBay

£200 for the panel and controller, then get a couple of leisure batteries and run the heater off them

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    it was a joke, bad of me in the professional forum. But related to another thread where everyone suggested making things with boxes.
    And I not only helped you in your time of need, I even gave you a hug

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanT View Post
    No tulip Sherlock - an 80W solar panel and a 1kW heater...
    it was a joke, bad of me in the professional forum. But related to another thread where everyone suggested making things with boxes.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Get a solar panel (80-100W is plenty), connect it to one of these:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Solar...o/182650504173
    Connect that to two batteries:
    PAIR OF 2X 12V 135AH 135 AH Leisure Battery DEEP CYCLE for Motorhome / Caravan | eBay
    Then hang a heater off them. You could stick an inverter in to go to 230V, but I'd suggest just sticking at 12V. You could probably go up to around a 400W heater, but whether you need that or not, I don't know, so here's a smaller one...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150W-12V-...e/401417494835

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Might need some kind of battery in between.
    No tulip Sherlock - an 80W solar panel and a 1kW heater...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X