• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "USB charging desk/cabinet/thingy?"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, tell you what, I could do it in 100 days, but I'd have to tweak the rate a smidgen.

£350 a day.
    Now you are talking!

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by doconline View Post
    Not sure on your budget, but this place might near to you, depending where in Manchester you are - J. Roberts Furniture - Home could you get something custom made? Would be able to match or complement the wood / colouring to your existing furniture then? Maybe send them an email with your requirements and see what they can do?
    I actually know a good place in Wales that do custom furniture, all kinds of bespoke work and great quality. But I really was just hoping someone had done something funky with all the cable management etc thought through, looks good etc.

I don't mind sounding like a pleb to you lot, but calling up a furniture maker and trying to specify what I want would probably make me look a right dick. "Funky, but functional, can charge toothbrushes and lawnmower batteries but at the same time cater for a multitude of portable devices, and not a ******* draw".

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Really? It's just a mains lead with a cardboard box plonked on top, bit of paint, couple of separators!
    OK, tell you what, I could do it in 100 days, but I'd have to tweak the rate a smidgen.

£350 a day.

Leave a comment:

• doconline
    replied
    Something custom made?

Not sure on your budget, but this place might near to you, depending where in Manchester you are - J. Roberts Furniture - Home could you get something custom made? Would be able to match or complement the wood / colouring to your existing furniture then? Maybe send them an email with your requirements and see what they can do?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    It's probably about 1000 days work.
    Really? It's just a mains lead with a cardboard box plonked on top, bit of paint, couple of separators!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    My house is just outside Manchester, if that helps. I'm willing to double your normal daily rate and offer you £35 pd.
    It's probably about 1000 days work.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    How much are you willing to pay?

I could make work out a daily rate for you for "IT Support", after all this is about a project to design and build a solution to support your IT systems. If I can't do it, I would substitute a carpenter. I also assume your house is outside IR35, but please could you confirm that.
    My house is just outside Manchester, if that helps. I'm willing to double your normal daily rate and offer you £35 pd.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    No.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I want something that works, looks good, wire management etc. I could just get a mains extension, put a cardboard box over it and hey presto, but it's not what I'm after. I feel I've been clear on this.

If anyone else continues with this make it yourself that doesn't involve a 3d printer then I will ban you.
    so something like this
    https://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-thunderb...-station-p9146

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    I saw a main powered usb charger (8 devices I think) advertised at the petrol station ~ £15
    Get two of these and just plonk them inside a cabinet.
    The only bit of diy is a drill bit for passing the mains cable through, then just place the cabinet infront of a double socket and bosh, job done
    I want something that works, looks good, wire management etc. I could just get a mains extension, put a cardboard box over it and hey presto, but it's not what I'm after. I feel I've been clear on this.

If anyone else continues with this make it yourself that doesn't involve a 3d printer then I will ban you.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I think I'm going to wait until the world catches up with my great idea, then buy it. I thank you all for your good ideas and if I was a handy man with time I could make my cabinet but I'm not.
    I saw a main powered usb charger (8 devices I think) advertised at the petrol station ~ £15
    Get two of these and just plonk them inside a cabinet.
    The only bit of diy is a drill bit for passing the mains cable through, then just place the cabinet infront of a double socket and bosh, job done

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I think I'm going to wait until the world catches up with my great idea, then buy it. I thank you all for your good ideas and if I was a handy man with time I could make my cabinet but I'm not.
    How much are you willing to pay?

I could make work out a daily rate for you for "IT Support", after all this is about a project to design and build a solution to support your IT systems. If I can't do it, I would substitute a carpenter. I also assume your house is outside IR35, but please could you confirm that.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Got an old CD cabinet/rack lying about ? I know you don't want to make anything, but perhaps it could be adapted.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Got an old CD cabinet/rack lying about ? I know you don't want to make anything, but perhaps it could be adapted.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    How many devices charge off mains and how many off USB?

What size is the largest device?
    What length is the shortest cable?

For all the USB ones, go for one of the little cabinets I mentioned yesterday, then buy one of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/POAO-Family.../dp/B01F4Q5A0Y
    (or similar)
    And have all your USB charging done from 1 unit.

Then you need to work on the non-USB charging, which I would just get a 6 gang strip and plug them all in, then run the cables through to a shelf/drawer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X