• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A VM Strategy for the Home Environment. :)"

Collapse

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    When I looked into Hyper V it became apparent that it didn't have a GUI, so all the admin of it had to be done by remote management tools or Power Shell. No thanks.

The T20 only cost me a couple of hundred with the cashback deal, and has dual quad code Xeons that pack a punch. Filled it with 32Gb of desktop memory for £100 so jobs a good'un. No it's not ECC, can I tell the difference? No.
    I guess you don't realise that the paid for Server 2012 R2 Standard/Essentials/Datacenter with GUI has Hyper-V build-in that can be enabled from "Roles and features", so you have both hypervisor and GUI. What you're talking about is the free Hyper-V server that indeed has no GUI.

Are you sure it's a T20 you have, amazed how you managed to cram dual CPU in single CPU Motherboard

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    A bit late to the party, but why on earth would you put an expensive, inferior, type 2 hypervisor - VMWare workstation on top of Server 2012R2 with built in superior type 1, free(already paid for) hypervisor - Hyper-V?

The solution to your problem of providing desktop experience for the mrs. is to just let her login to the Server 2012 host and RDP to a VM running desktop OS of choice. It's an awful setup tho, you could have bought her a laptop for the price of the VMWare workstation license.

On as side note HP Gen.8 Microserver is far better than Dell T20 - same price bracket, but it has 2x1Gbit NICs and iLO and is 1/3 of the size
    When I looked into Hyper V it became apparent that it didn't have a GUI, so all the admin of it had to be done by remote management tools or Power Shell. No thanks.

The T20 only cost me a couple of hundred with the cashback deal, and has dual quad code Xeons that pack a punch. Filled it with 32Gb of desktop memory for £100 so jobs a good'un. No it's not ECC, can I tell the difference? No.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    A bit late to the party, but why on earth would you put an expensive, inferior, type 2 hypervisor - VMWare workstation on top of Server 2012R2 with built in superior type 1, free(already paid for) hypervisor - Hyper-V?

The solution to your problem of providing desktop experience for the mrs. is to just let her login to the Server 2012 host and RDP to a VM running desktop OS of choice. It's an awful setup tho, you could have bought her a laptop for the price of the VMWare workstation license.

On as side note HP Gen.8 Microserver is far better than Dell T20 - same price bracket, but it has 2x1Gbit NICs and iLO and is 1/3 of the size

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Got a cheap tablet, but it's more for her professional qualification stuff so you need a desk and a keyboard.
    Tablet, keyboard and VNC/RDP to a VM

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Naa. It's a server, I don't want to be rebooting it cos she wants to send an email. It's on 24/7 for a 99.99% Uptime of torrent downloading and file sharing/file store.

Well the server (or rather, the monitors for it) is in the home office cos that's where the desk space and cabinets are, don't really want to clutter it up with extra leads and stuff.

How about, can I lock down an account on W12 Server so the only thing the user can do is a Remote Desktop into a VM? That could work couldn't it? Possibly do it as a startup command?
    You could:
    - Lock down the 2012 server so it starts up a VM on boot, or something, like you've suggested.
    Or
    - Lock down her desktop so that the icons all point to a specific VM and make the most of the Unity feature in VMware. This will help to make it look seamless to her.
    Don't forget to remove the ability for her to shutdown the server.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    bet her a rapberry pi and rdp to the win7 vm

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Ummm if she's got something to RDP from then why does she need an account on the server?

Personally as a hypervisor I'd be using ESXi as apart from anything else it doesn't need a GUI.

If your Mrs needs a desktop rather than just email, then just buy a cheapo Dell and have done with it. You'll regret it when your server (instead of her desktop) is cluttered up with random crap otherwise.....
    Think he wants her to log onto main w12 host with a restricted account and rpd to auto started W7 guest on VMware workstation

Sounds like a right faff.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Ummm if she's got something to RDP from then why does she need an account on the server?

Personally as a hypervisor I'd be using ESXi as apart from anything else it doesn't need a GUI.

If your Mrs needs a desktop rather than just email, then just buy a cheapo Dell and have done with it. You'll regret it when your server (instead of her desktop) is cluttered up with random crap otherwise.....

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Dual boot?
    Naa. It's a server, I don't want to be rebooting it cos she wants to send an email. It's on 24/7 for a 99.99% Uptime of torrent downloading and file sharing/file store.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Get her a £200 laptop or desktop, unless space is the issue?
    Well the server (or rather, the monitors for it) is in the home office cos that's where the desk space and cabinets are, don't really want to clutter it up with extra leads and stuff.

How about, can I lock down an account on W12 Server so the only thing the user can do is a Remote Desktop into a VM? That could work couldn't it? Possibly do it as a startup command?
    Last edited by rl4engc; 10 February 2017, 12:05.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Got a cheap tablet, but it's more for her professional qualification stuff so you need a desk and a keyboard.
    Get her a £200 laptop or desktop, unless space is the issue?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Dual boot?

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Get her a cheap tablet!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Hi All,

So I've got my Dell T20 all set up running Windows 2012 R2 Server, and VMWare Workstation Pro to run Virtual Machines. The idea being keep the W12 Server 'clean' with minimal extra software, all that can go on the VM's which can easily be rolled back etc. Got W10 and W7 Ultimate so far, mainly for file sharing activities. Bridged so they can all talk. Host is effectively the storage server too.

All going well until Mrs.rl4 asks if she can log on to the computer, like she always has (Account on old Windows 7 box). Had issues in the past where e.g. Firefox was running on her account and I couldn't update it was in use.

So long and short is I want a separate VM for her but ideally not by logging into W12 Server to get to it. Is this possible? Just getting up to speed on VM's so ideally don't really want to go down the route of Headless servers, HyperV, Separate Domain Controllers etc. What do other folks do on here?
    Get her a cheap tablet!

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    started a topic A VM Strategy for the Home Environment. :)

A VM Strategy for the Home Environment. :)

Hi All,

So I've got my Dell T20 all set up running Windows 2012 R2 Server, and VMWare Workstation Pro to run Virtual Machines. The idea being keep the W12 Server 'clean' with minimal extra software, all that can go on the VM's which can easily be rolled back etc. Got W10 and W7 Ultimate so far, mainly for file sharing activities. Bridged so they can all talk. Host is effectively the storage server too.

All going well until Mrs.rl4 asks if she can log on to the computer, like she always has (Account on old Windows 7 box). Had issues in the past where e.g. Firefox was running on her account and I couldn't update it was in use.

So long and short is I want a separate VM for her but ideally not by logging into W12 Server to get to it. Is this possible? Just getting up to speed on VM's so ideally don't really want to go down the route of Headless servers, HyperV, Separate Domain Controllers etc. What do other folks do on here?

Working...
X