• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ramdisks

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ramdisks"

Collapse

• zazou
    replied
    Up and running now

This is my main reason for installing one: Chrome / FireFox hates your SSD
    Second: I've got 64GB to play with.

Here's a great roundup of RAM disks that looks amateur but thorough enough not to be sponsored by a particular vendor. Great reading too.
    Based on that I chose SoftPerfect's RAM Disk and after a bit of playing around with the settings it's now functional.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    AIUI RAM disks have gone out of fashion because OS disk cacheing is now so advanced that it is generally quicker to turn over any available RAM to the OS rather than utilise it in a RAM disk.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If we could get back on topic, presumably SSDs and even spinny disks now have several Gb of cache RAM which is effectively trying to act as an automatic RAM drive - how does this compare to a real one?
    I'm not sure they all do actually - but they don't compare at all. Consumer grade stuff won't do much, if any, write caching due to the risk of data loss and even so small caches are only useful if you're accessing the same data.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If we could get back on topic, presumably SSDs and even spinny disks now have several Gb of cache RAM which is effectively trying to act as an automatic RAM drive - how does this compare to a real one?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Memory lane.
    Greenlake has changed CUK for good!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm so old I remember when technical was about answering technical problems, not a stroll down memory lane.
    Memory lane.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I'm so old I remember when technical was about answering technical problems, not a stroll down memory lane.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The first computer I've programmed was HAL 9000
    Somehow that comes as no surprise.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The first computer I've programmed was HAL 9000

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Orange VDU, before the boring beige arrived.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Stone me, a fellow

And one who knows what ISIS-II is.

And might have seen a Blue Box with an 8080 in it.

I wrote a cross assembler for the 8080 that ran on a GA 16-220 minicomputer.

Then they introduced macros to the source code & I couldn't be arsed to add that bit so stopped using it.

Which slowed stuff down no end until we got some Z80 cards to plug into the pc to run the ISIS assembler & linker.

Gosh:

CP/M Blue thunder card
    Had to look up ISIS-2, but remember CP/M, also DR/Dos, and later Wordstar, Supercalc, Lotus 123

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISIS_(...ystem)#ISIS-II

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    My UNIVAC was shared by over a 1000 students. Punch cards, no monitor (only the Prof. had access to a green screen). RAM disks were a thing of mystery in '83.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Thread now renamed "Your oldest computer memories"

Small stuff :- Nascom, Commodore PET, Apples 2e, Tandy (Don't think it was the TRS80, but think it had 10inch floppy drive), Apple Macintosh, IBM PC (and Apricot clone), ICL OPD. BBC micro, Atom, ICL DRS300, ICL DRS6000
    Language :- Pascal, Assembler on Z80, 8086, 6502, Basic, Microfocus Cobol/2. Still got Windows 95 install discs.

Bigger stuff :- ICL ME29, ICL 1900 (naked in West Gorton)
    Last edited by anonymouse; 15 January 2017, 13:31.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied

Did I mention it had a Coral-66 compiler?

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    My first machine had 16k EPROM, 2k of static RAM, and 16k dynamic which didn't work until I discovered what decoupling capacitors were for.
    Added two 8" floppy drives, more RAM, ported Intel's ISIS-II operating system to it, instant(not) Intel-MDS (compatible) for 1/10th the price(still a fortune in today's money).

Sad old git qualification, priceless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X