• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Amazon Echo

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Amazon Echo"

Collapse

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Do ya think I could shout unlock car through your letter box and rob it?
    No. They have quite sensibly only allowed 'lock' not 'unlock'.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Forget the Amazon Echo. You want a LingLong DingDong..

China unveils its answer to Amazon's Echo: The $118 LingLong DingDong | Daily Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    Yay - BMW app now available. Alexa can now lock my car.

Also, given the lack of UK centric discussions available I threw one together at echotalk.uk - feel fee to try it and report any issues.
    Do ya think I could shout unlock car through your letter box and rob it?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    yeah I think more and more services is come online over the coming months

I use launderapp on occasion and noticed they're already available on the echo

Also, given the lack of UK centric discussions available I threw one together at echotalk.uk - feel fee to try it and report any issues.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Clientco - a 'telematics' insurance company just demo-ed one of these, the 'innovations guy' used it to check his balance and bonus miles and it told him how he could adjust his diving to reduce his premiums. Apparently the API is pretty open and there are already hooks into Dominos pizza, JustEat, Audible etc, so pretty soon you will be able to check your bank balance, get news and weather, order a pizza and listen to an audiobook while munching.

Its the future.
    yeah I think more and more services is come online over the coming months

I use launderapp on occasion and noticed they're already available on the echo

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    the App is now available in the UK. Not that it does much.
    Clientco - a 'telematics' insurance company just demo-ed one of these, the 'innovations guy' used it to check his balance and bonus miles and it told him how he could adjust his diving to reduce his premiums. Apparently the API is pretty open and there are already hooks into Dominos pizza, JustEat, Audible etc, so pretty soon you will be able to check your bank balance, get news and weather, order a pizza and listen to an audiobook while munching.

Its the future.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    After a week playing with my Echo I've decided it's not very good yet. It's just a voice controlled radio and music player and hopeless when it comes to asking for information.

I ask it lots of questions Google Now would have no problem answering and I'm met with 'Sorry, I don't know that' or something similar. Hoping for some improvements soon.

Leave a comment:

• firestarter
    replied
    Originally posted by boxingbantz View Post
    You'd be a a fool to let Google essentially plant a voice recorder into your house picking up on everything you say...
    Do you have a smart phone?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The google home...

The new Google Home speaker will reportedly cost $50 less than the Amazon Echo - The Verge

When these things have a 'please make conversation with my wife in the other room' setting I'm buying.
    it's happening...

Amazon will give you $1M if your AI can chitchat for 20 min

20 minutes should just about cover the nightly "my job is tulip" chat I get.

Leave a comment:

• TheBA
    replied
    Originally posted by boxingbantz View Post
    You'd be a a fool to let Google essentially plant a voice recorder into your house picking up on everything you say...
    But it's okay to let Amazon essentially plant a voice recorder into your house picking up on everything you say...?
    Last edited by TheBA; 30 September 2016, 13:14.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Right, installed and up and running....usual fun asking daft questions, with relatively successful results. Managed to get my Tado heating system linked in, and now just listening to News headlines

Leave a comment:

• boxingbantz
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The google home...

The new Google Home speaker will reportedly cost $50 less than the Amazon Echo - The Verge

When these things have a 'please make conversation with my wife in the other room' setting I'm buying.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Coolio - well, mine was delivered yesterday, but I haven't opened it and setup yet.....task for this morning, as WFH!
    Shouldn't it be able to open itself when you ask it to?

Part of me wants one and part of me is horrified by the very idea.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Same here, setup was pretty easy though the app crashed first time on the iphone when setting up the echo (restart fixed it). Also, has a website option for the same settings.

The speaker as most reviews said is ok, not great but ok. The echo is in the main bedroom so not blasting out sound so its fine for me. The speech recognition is fine and the echo responds surprisingly fast, even when placed miles away from the wi-fi router.

Switching lights on and off was very easy to setup, I'm using wemo plugs from Belkin and just worked.

The news updates are good, playing music is good. You can also get updates on the traffic for your commute but it doesn't work well if you ask how is the traffic to say X destination.

I have a few audio books and again just worked straightaway, though would be nice if you could select the books without remembering the title, so say ask for a list of titles in the collection.

Was pretty cool last night asking Alexa to play classic fm for 30 mins and setting up wake up reminders.
    Coolio - well, mine was delivered yesterday, but I haven't opened it and setup yet.....task for this morning, as WFH!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X