• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon Echo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxingbantz View Post
    You'd be a a fool to let Google essentially plant a voice recorder into your house picking up on everything you say...
    But it's okay to let Amazon essentially plant a voice recorder into your house picking up on everything you say...?
    Last edited by TheBA; 30 September 2016, 13:14.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      The google home...

The new Google Home speaker will reportedly cost $50 less than the Amazon Echo - The Verge

When these things have a 'please make conversation with my wife in the other room' setting I'm buying.
      it's happening...

Amazon will give you $1M if your AI can chitchat for 20 min

20 minutes should just about cover the nightly "my job is tulip" chat I get.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbantz View Post
        You'd be a a fool to let Google essentially plant a voice recorder into your house picking up on everything you say...
        Do you have a smart phone?

Comment

After a week playing with my Echo I've decided it's not very good yet. It's just a voice controlled radio and music player and hopeless when it comes to asking for information.

I ask it lots of questions Google Now would have no problem answering and I'm met with 'Sorry, I don't know that' or something similar. Hoping for some improvements soon.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

the App is now available in the UK. Not that it does much.
            Clientco - a 'telematics' insurance company just demo-ed one of these, the 'innovations guy' used it to check his balance and bonus miles and it told him how he could adjust his diving to reduce his premiums. Apparently the API is pretty open and there are already hooks into Dominos pizza, JustEat, Audible etc, so pretty soon you will be able to check your bank balance, get news and weather, order a pizza and listen to an audiobook while munching.

Its the future.
            My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
              Clientco - a 'telematics' insurance company just demo-ed one of these, the 'innovations guy' used it to check his balance and bonus miles and it told him how he could adjust his diving to reduce his premiums. Apparently the API is pretty open and there are already hooks into Dominos pizza, JustEat, Audible etc, so pretty soon you will be able to check your bank balance, get news and weather, order a pizza and listen to an audiobook while munching.

Its the future.
              yeah I think more and more services is come online over the coming months

I use launderapp on occasion and noticed they're already available on the echo

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                yeah I think more and more services is come online over the coming months

I use launderapp on occasion and noticed they're already available on the echo
                Yay - BMW app now available. Alexa can now lock my car.

Also, given the lack of UK centric discussions available I threw one together at echotalk.uk - feel fee to try it and report any issues.
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post

Also, given the lack of UK centric discussions available I threw one together at echotalk.uk - feel fee to try it and report any issues.
                    Do ya think I could shout unlock car through your letter box and rob it?

Comment

Forget the Amazon Echo. You want a LingLong DingDong..

China unveils its answer to Amazon's Echo: The $118 LingLong DingDong | Daily Mail Online
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X