• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Copying files between laptops"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Eek's suggestion/link solved it now getting approx 80-100MB/s.

+1 for robocopy I use that alot when moving SQL Backup files between servers, with the correct threading, etc it can really fly.

Cheers.

qh

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    10MBPS (MegaBYTES per second) or 10Mbps (MegaBITS per second)?

If it's the former then I guess one of the NICs is 100MBps, quite common for older laptops with theoretical maximum speed of around 12MBPS

Even a slow 5400 should have at least 30-50MBPS read/write speed
    True, but if both disks are heavily fragmented, copy speed will slow to a crawl. However OP says both disks are SSD, so it's not the disks I would doubt.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    You need one of these... HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Proper ethernet port or USB dongle?

(This has got me wondering what I've done with my laptop's USB ethernet dongle).

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Also try using Robocpy in cmd instead of the GUI crap, should be builtin even in Win7

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Wasn't that what I was doing? Why the slow speed then?

qh
    /
    Not sure what you were using, tbh, since it it wasn't mentioned in the OP? If I have misread it, then "my bad", sorry.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Slow disks or are they both SSD?
    It's probably the ethernet card driver and settings.

Look at the Disabling “Large Send Offload (LSO)” on Local Area Network : How to fix slow LAN transfer speed of files in Windows and remember to do it on both computers...

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Both are SSD.

qh

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    10MBPS (MegaBYTES per second) or 10Mbps (MegaBITS per second)?

If it's the former then I guess one of the NICs is 100MBps, quite common for older laptops with theoretical maximum speed of around 12MBPS

Even a slow 5400 should have at least 30-50MBPS read/write speed

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    If you use "Windows Easy Transfer" you can use a USB drive as the destination or copy the files over Ethernet. Give it a go (clue - it's built into Windows).

qh

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    If you use "Windows Easy Transfer" you can use a USB drive as the destination or copy the files over Ethernet. Give it a go (clue - it's built into Windows).

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    External hard drive no use?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    started a topic Copying files between laptops

Copying files between laptops

Copying files from old (win7) to new (win10) via simple cat6 network cable. Was getting speeds of 10MBPS last night! WTF!

Googled around and it is a known issue copying from win7 and something I am going to look at is iperf? Anyone done this? Other ways to make it fast?

TIA

qh

Working...
X