• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Windows 10 - Did you upgrade?"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    As most of my main PC important stuff runs within virtual machines that are easy to backup in entirety, I was bored enough this aft to upgrade it from W7 to W10.

This came after I got an email saying that the Windows Live Mail client I use on W7 will stop working with microsoft email accounts, as they upgrade them all to use outlook.com from end of June.

Now it's on W10 I find the mail app doesn't currently support offline mail, so all the pop3 email I also have in Live Mail can't be moved over to the W10 mail app, yet.

So I'll still have to use Live Mail on W10 anyway until the W10 mail app is upgraded.

Maybe I should ask Cortana wtf is going on.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I don't care about the control panel, I use the search "Ask me anything" to find things. Along with the toolbar I don't want anything else. But i understand what you are saying!

The search on the toolbar doesn't work! Part of same problem with the start button and Edge browser not working.

Fortunately right click on start button to get control panel and other useful options (command prompt) does work otherwise I'd have thrown the thing through the window by now. Maybe that's why M$ chose the name 'windows', they have a deal with glaziers to drum up business by people going postal.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Yep, ran the windows update manually several times to make sure all applied.

Nice of them to move the update option from the control panel to a settings area not as easy to access without a working start menu. Most of the 'fixes' entail having to delve into powershell or DOS commands. M$ progress for you. Bunch of

This is the first time I've tried upgrading to a new major windows version, always done clean installs before. Lesson re-learnt.
    I don't usually go in for the MS bashing, I quite like em and have made money from using their products. But in my limited experience the upgrade from win 7 to 8 was tulip same 8->8.1. And yep from 8.1 to 10, tulip. Fresh install seems to have sorted most issues out.

I don't care about the control panel, I use the search "Ask me anything" to find things. Along with the toolbar I don't want anything else. But i understand what you are saying!

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Try doing a fresh install of win10. I'm assuming you installed all the updates.
    Yep, ran the windows update manually several times to make sure all applied.

Nice of them to move the update option from the control panel to a settings area not as easy to access without a working start menu. Most of the 'fixes' entail having to delve into powershell or DOS commands. M$ progress for you. Bunch of

This is the first time I've tried upgrading to a new major windows version, always done clean installs before. Lesson re-learnt.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

Have been checking out W10 in a VM running in Virtual Box on my W7 host for a while with no issues. So decided to upgrade my dad's PC from W8.1 as he is sick of battling the crappy touch centric interface and wants the start button back.

Upgrade seemed to go ok.

Now the start button, search box, or taskbar shortcuts to Edge etc don't work. A common problem apparently, but tried all of the simpler non-destructive 'fixes' and no improvement.

Thought sod it, roll back to W8.1 via the recovery option.

Seemed to be working, but still boots up into W10. Tried it twice and same.

So stuck on W10 after wasting most of the afternoon on this tulip.

I have a premonition that I'll be wasting a significant part of the weekend getting it working properly, or give up and revert to a W8.1 system image backup.
    Try doing a fresh install of win10. I'm assuming you installed all the updates.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied

Have been checking out W10 in a VM running in Virtual Box on my W7 host for a while with no issues. So decided to upgrade my dad's PC from W8.1 as he is sick of battling the crappy touch centric interface and wants the start button back.

Upgrade seemed to go ok.

Now the start button, search box, or taskbar shortcuts to Edge etc don't work. A common problem apparently, but tried all of the simpler non-destructive 'fixes' and no improvement.

Thought sod it, roll back to W8.1 via the recovery option.

Seemed to be working, but still boots up into W10. Tried it twice and same.

So stuck on W10 after wasting most of the afternoon on this tulip.

I have a premonition that I'll be wasting a significant part of the weekend getting it working properly, or give up and revert to a W8.1 system image backup.
    Last edited by Hobosapien; 22 April 2016, 16:10.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Upgraded wife's Lenovo today and hardly anything (viewable) has changed apart from Cortana search box. Seems okay so far.

Has uninstalled Dolby Digital Home Theatre which was quite good as normal sound it a bit pants.

qh

Leave a comment:

• DarkLard
    replied
    Anyone having odd issues with the notification tabs? Every so often one appears that I can't close and it stays on screen! V annoying. I did turn these off but wondered if it was just me!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Anyone upgraded to AIX 7.2 yet? Fraid it's POWER7 and POWER8 only, anyone with POWER6 or below needs to upgrade - to a new Frame!!
    Ah but think of all the money you'll save with increased performance and denser virtual machines! Plus 90%+ power savings and less rack space. You know it makes sense. Sign here

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Anyone upgraded to AIX 7.2 yet? Fraid it's POWER7 and POWER8 only, anyone with POWER6 or below needs to upgrade - to a new Frame!!

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Looks like they are pulling out all the stops to get you to upgrade.

qh

Frak me. You can tell they don't think their tulip stinks, and that there's no genuine IT illiterate alternative for people to move to.

Linux? Nope. Unless they start giving away live CDs/USB sticks in boxes of cornflakes no one 'normal' is going to get past the eternal question of which version to use.

The final solution will be that PCs and laptops are replaced with Dom Joly size smartphones running Android or iOS. You don't need a time machine to see that one coming.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    They still force W10 users to install all their updates automatically I presume? If so M$ can kiss my
    Looks like they are pulling out all the stops to get you to upgrade.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    No chance, still on W7 on my main PC and laptop. Got no real motivation to risk upsetting what are stable perfectly usable systems. The SSD upgrades to both gave them a new lease of life. I am unaware of any 'must have' features in W10 that would make a genuine improvement.

Not got the 'pester until upgrade to W10' windows update I've read about as I don't install everything in the list only the important updates, so maybe it's stuck in the optional list.

Was going to download the full W10 ISO and upgrade my dad's PC that I upgraded to W8 back in the day, but after the W8 experience (and me having to roll it back several times to a previous snapshot after he installed a dodgy windows update) he doesn't want W10 until they've ironed out the issues.

They still force W10 users to install all their updates automatically I presume? If so M$ can kiss my

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    No, I left all my stuff on the same old Win 7. For now.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Coincidence both you and BP had problems with Lenovos?

Hmmm. Maybe not, seems to be same problem with Windows 10 on various machines:

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-...10-update.html
    Last edited by xoggoth; 17 February 2016, 22:35.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X